Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: 10 ft 3 wt
« Reply #15 on: 11/04/2008 at 22:50 »
I found another 10ft 3wt when i was in Norway

Guideline do a 10ft 3wt Le-cie, i believe it may be new for 2008 in Scandanavia but may reach these shores :z8
I also came across a Loop Greyline 11ft 4wt another interesting rod and very different to the ranges you see in the UK.

I noticed they have a lot of lightweight trout rods across the sea, but then they dont have a rainbow culture and much of the fishing is in hill lochs and smallish rivers for trout (the bigger rivers are very much salmon orientated), the flies in the flyboxes for sale were different too, more like what i would find in my own box or what many of you fish. Mostly small dark imitative patterns.
Lots of cool materials but thats another thread :wink

Sandy

Dutchfly

« Reply #16 on: 05/05/2008 at 21:15 »
Cheers Sandy. Any experience with the Streamflex rods by Greys? I noticed they have a 10 ft 3 wt out this year. None of my local tackleshops have the rod though so no idea what to make of it..

CU

Jeroen

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 05/05/2008 at 22:20 »
I've used one and it's a very nice rod indeed, A+  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 06/05/2008 at 05:55 »
Hi Jeroen

I had a wee go with the Streamflex 10ft 4wt last year.
It was a nice 3wt ,from memory. I found the streamflex range to be a little too soft for my liking (lacking a bit of backbone), but well made and a very nice product. I would say Try one first (might be tough from what you're saying), I cant comment on the 3wt i havn't tried one.
Somers in Aberdeen do them, when you are over here :z8

Not much help i'm afraid :z6

Sandy

Dutchfly

« Reply #19 on: 18/05/2008 at 11:16 »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Hopefully I can try one at Flyfair, next week. Cortland also has a 10 ft 3 wt and they will be there.

CU

Jeroen

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 25/06/2008 at 09:33 »
So what you end up getting then Jeroen  :?

Dutchfly

« Reply #21 on: 13/07/2008 at 20:46 »
Well.... nothing yet, really :z6. The Greys rod is not my cup of tea and I haven't had a change to test the Cortland rod. One thing I've found out however is that I don't really like 10 ft rods. From now on, I'll stick with 9 ft. And as for using a 3 wt on the lochs, I did bring one when we were over a couple of weeks ago, but it never left the hotelroom... The 5 weight was my go-to rod, although I had to use the MSJ Sandy build me (7 wt) a couple of times, because of heavy winds.

CU

Jeroen

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 14/07/2008 at 08:47 »
One thing I've found out however is that I don't really like 10 ft rods. From now on, I'll stick with 9 ft.

Me too :z16, i much prefer 9ft rods, i have yet to find the advantage of 10ft for the style of fishing i do.
I found no benefit on a boat either, certainly the control a 9ft'r affords is worth far more than any extra dibble,anyway i can always raise my arm :z4

Sandy

Andy Wren

« Reply #23 on: 13/09/2008 at 16:34 »
Sandy , re Britewater blanks !
Geoff Bucknall is now residing some where in Teesdale .
Someone round there might help you contact him .
Last time I spoke to him he still had a stock of blanks .
Several mates have had the 10 footers and are very happy ,one of them is a champion multiplier caster so hard to please !

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #24 on: 15/09/2008 at 07:40 »
Now thats interesting, coz I have found a 10 footer to be an advantage when deep wading..but then again, I am using heavy outfits and the back cast can drop towards the end of the day when i am getting tired.

I did have an 11 foot 4/5 weight that I bought some 20 years ago for a trip to Leven..but it was sooooo windy in never got used for dibbling. I did use it for fishing the roadside bank at Saugh as it allowed me to back cast over the top of a high fence :)

Having said that, my favourite rod of all time was only 6 foot long  :)

Stuart Smith

« Reply #25 on: 16/09/2008 at 21:19 »
10 ft rods do have there uses.ive found its alot easyer to dibble form boat or tube but thats pritty much the only way i fish.got a couple of shorter rods but it feels like theres a bit missing off the end of it

i gess it comes down to what your happy with

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com