Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Hoddom Castle Fishing trip
« on: 26/05/2017 at 10:15 »
So wee reminder for everyone, if you are interested... :z16

Mike and I are going to drive down to Hoddom Castle ( http://www.hoddomcastle.co.uk/ ) and set up our tent on Thursday 15th June ready to fish in the evening :cool: We will stay for 3 nights and pack up on the Sunday morning for the drive home.

Let's see if we can make this a forum trip? Anybody that would like to come along is welcome to join us. There are pods at the campsite for those without tents ( best to book the pods early as they are in high demand ) and you can simply book the days that are suitable for you directly with the campsite :z16

Plenty fishing in the area and the campsite stretch is damn good too

So hopefully see you there :z18

Cheers

Sandy

Liam Stephen

Re: Hoddom Castle Fishing trip
« Reply #1 on: 26/05/2017 at 10:35 »
Looking forward to it!

:z18

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #2 on: 26/05/2017 at 15:02 »
I thought you were more of a B&B man Sandy?  :z4 :z4

Ash

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 26/05/2017 at 17:09 »
Don't let the soft outside fool you, inside beats the heart of a caveman  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 26/05/2017 at 19:28 »
Sadly not for me this time  :z10

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 26/05/2017 at 20:12 »
As much as I'd love to join you guys, already had 2 trips away this season, so need to build up some Brownie points with swmbo

Jim

Liam Stephen

« Reply #6 on: 06/06/2017 at 13:12 »
Not long to go now guys! Seriously looking forward to it, hopefully the rains just given it a wee freshen up in time for our arrival.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 07/06/2017 at 10:20 »
Last night wouldn't have been a good night to be in a tent ...... some wind :z4  :z4  :z4

Colin Sunley

« Reply #8 on: 07/06/2017 at 18:47 »
Have a good trip lads. Maybe next year for me Still nursing a broken anckle. 

Peter Davidson

« Reply #9 on: 08/06/2017 at 10:12 »
Last night wouldn't have been a good night to be in a tent ...... some wind :z4  :z4  :z4

Wind in a tent was never a pleasant experience :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 11/06/2017 at 18:04 »
Not long now ....... busy looking out the tent and all the gear today :cool:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 15/06/2017 at 09:07 »
RoadTrip............. :X4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #12 on: 15/06/2017 at 11:10 »
have a good 'un! safe travels and lots of trout and pics

Dave Felce

« Reply #13 on: 15/06/2017 at 15:08 »
RoadTrip............. :X4
tight lines guys! have fun  :z12  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 18/06/2017 at 18:28 »
Well, it was interesting weather that greeted us on our trip south, but it it did break just before our first venture down the river.

Hard work though, although the best pool was already occupied (switch settings to HD1080 for best results :z16)

https://youtu.be/m6jYUL-SSps

After an evening of getting eaten by midges, the fish were found in a single pod, but not by me :wink
Getting back later it did look like the Aliens had landed, but it was a great base camp for the 3 days.

A lovely morning greeted us day two and Mr B set a precedent for much of the trip  :z7

We spent a good amount of the day searching out fishable water, and the guys did find a few fish, i resorted to Strip,Strip, Set, but without the set :cry it was exciting at times but hard work for little reward.

Saturday the river had settled down a bit more and the pockets gave up some of their residents, beautiful yellow coloured fish from the Annan

With the sun making life look fab, it was a day to explore.

And although some of the weaker rocks were feeling broken by the conditions

I gloried on to try and catch that elusive Grayling, eventually i got one, but they proved to be very tough to photograph, even the camera went into a spin.

I kept the next one over the net for its mug shot :z4 :z4 only wee, but hard won :z16

So a great trip away, great company, good food, decent fishing despite the conditions.
Thanks to the guys who came down and looking forward to the next one :z18

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com