Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Weardale
« on: 20/05/2017 at 16:24 »
Was down to the North Pennines last week for 3 days of fishing. Stayed in a bunkhouse near a small village called Royston Vasey  Rookhope.

Not to far from the river Wear  but that was seriously down to ts bones and really un-fishable. First day we ventured to Cow Green , one of England's best Brown trout waters, its formed by damming the river Tees ( unfortunately I left my camera in the bunkhouse) Its a big water, we fished round the whole water approximately 7   miles in circumference.  hard going as there was a cold wind blowing down the valley and the reservoir was 20ft or more below normal level, still I enjoyed the day and  we had a few fish, if you ignored the dam, it was like being in Sutherland  :cool:

Day 2 was Loch of the Crow, again a Reservoir up in the Pennines, again a big body of water but not so low as Cow Green, I would say this water is very seldom fished. The morning was tough going with a cold east wind again, but for an hour in the afternoon, the wind dropped and it warmed up, there were flies on the water and it was fish on  :z16  Another enjoyable day.

Day three was the river Tees , no shortage of water as  its fed from Cow Green, a really great fly river , for £12 you have 9 miles of water, although some of it is unfishable due to really steep gorges.  No huge trout for grat sport just the same, my best fish was a Grayling ( photo does not do it justice.   All in all a grand 3 days  :cool:

This is the bunkhouse  :z4 League of Gentlemen was based on a village called Alston close by to where we were staying

:z18

Ali Mcewan

Re: Weardale
« Reply #1 on: 20/05/2017 at 16:35 »
Aye some rare folk in Alston alright 😂 Bought up 15mile down river.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 20/05/2017 at 16:39 »
Great stuff Jim :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 20/05/2017 at 19:29 »
Brought up 15mile down river.

34 miles for me :z16

been years since i did any fishing down there, looks like a great trip :z18

Sandy

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2017 at 21:50 »
Just double checked sandy, 27 miles, must be something in that area that breeds quality fisherman 😂
Corbridge for me, what about you?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 20/05/2017 at 22:06 »
 :z16

All my formative years in Hunwick and then Escomb :z16 So i was down the Wear, learning the trade :z16
probably a good few years ahead of you though :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 21/05/2017 at 19:00 »
It is a lovely part of the country, well worth a visit.
 :z18

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 22/05/2017 at 13:10 »
Was also down with Jim sadly not for as long.  Simply loved it, the scenery, people, fishing all fantastic.  Landed over 150 fish over the three days, two of them on the Tees where best fish was a nice pound n half grayling on the DHE, and over 50 on Cow Green, best here a solid 14oz (morning was hard but a wee hatch of midge had the fish bouncing in the afternoon)

Definitely keen on heading back down there again in the near future.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 28/05/2017 at 14:08 »
they used to eat their bairns in Rookhope, definitely used to be a frontier village, a group of us rented a weekend cottage down in Eastgate, there was  still lead mining going on then, and the CrossKeys was pretty lively on a weekend, My fishing then may not have been considered legal, :z6 Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com