Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Heading across for a few days, any thoughts on fishing?

I know its known for Spurdogs and Rays but I will only be taking fly rods. Pollock? Mackeral?

Any trout waters worth having a go at?

Cheers.

Derek Roxborough

Re: Loch Torridon area for fly fishing - Info please :)
« Reply #1 on: 11/05/2017 at 15:42 »
trout waters ? bloody Hunnerds, where ever you look :z4 Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2017 at 18:24 »
Heading across for a few days, any thoughts on fishing?

I know its known for Spurdogs and Rays but I will only be taking fly rods. Pollock? Mackeral?

Any trout waters worth having a go at?

Cheers.

Where you staying Rob... I may have a spot or two for you  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2017 at 07:49 »
Where you staying Rob... I may have a spot or two for you  :z16

The metropolis that is Shieldaig, right on the shores of Loch Shieldaig, surprisingly! ;)

So that's Loch Torridon, Shieldaig and Upper Loch Torridon within a 15 minutes drive. Google Earth shows some interesting rocky outcrops into stunningly clear sea!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 12/05/2017 at 21:10 »
we used to get some decent fishing in the Narrows, I had a boat and I did a bit of chartering,, sea lochan called Ob mhealaidh, try the points of that not far from Shieldaig,, Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 13/05/2017 at 06:55 »
I've not had the chance to try it yet - so no guarantees - but I've been told the fishing is handy around Inveralligin and Lower Diabaig and on the other side of the loch near Ardheslaig  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 13/05/2017 at 21:22 »
the Narrows from Inveralligan, I was living at Alligan in the 70's,if you can get out to the point where the old Shebeen was you could get some fishing from there, but things change in time, the point of Diabeag  was good but we were bait fishing for cod and haddock, the Ploc at Fasaig was also decent, but again I was bait fishing,good luck with it any way, Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 15/05/2017 at 08:51 »
Well, I decided that the rod should stay at home else I would end up in a couple of spots and not explore the options.

I did discover that Mullet swim around some of the river mouths, and that they are BIG. I saw some awesome "grey ghosts" silently drifting past, so, that's my plan in a few months.

I also found a muddy bay that when the tide was out, showed up the classic half moon "lip" marks of mullet feeding...and it was totally covered in them. Must of been some amount of fish.

The B&B also has access to some boats, so that's also on the plan!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 15/05/2017 at 20:26 »
I worked on the Salmon nets for a couple of summers and we used to get Grey Mullet quite often this was at the Gairloch nets, Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com