Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

David James Murray

Loch Insch
« on: 11/05/2017 at 10:14 »
Hi everyone, just a wee update on Loch Insch. I'll be reopening next Spring, (Insch, Kelloch and Colrayne. No plans  for the other one as yet. )
 There's plenty work to be done in the meantime, and I'm currently draining Insch and Kelloch to get diggers and dumpers in to remove what is potentially several hundred tonnes of silt. If you're going to do a job, do it properly.  Obviously going to lose fly life doing that, but it should regenerate fairly quickly. (The buzzer hatches have been huge of late)
 I'll be taking measures to control the weed, plus installing several aerators,  redoing the wooden jettie, and removing vegetation, etc etc etc.

I doubt there's any rainbows left, but I wouldn't be surprised if I find some lumpy browns. Seen very little move in the last couple of weeks although had a cast last night at a lovely brown around 1.5lb which nailed a small dry which was pleasing.

I'll be stocking mainly rainbows with some browns on top. But I'll deal with all that a later date.

Anyway, target is to get it back to its best, or better.  All quite exciting really.

All the best, David Murray.

Mike Barrio

Re: Loch Insch
« Reply #1 on: 11/05/2017 at 10:25 »
Hi David ...... welcome to the forum :z16

That's great news!

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2017 at 18:25 »
Good to hear it's coming back - best of luck to you  :z16

James Craig

« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2017 at 09:11 »
All the best, looking forward to opening!

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #4 on: 12/05/2017 at 10:58 »
Lets get a forum day out when it opens, who's keen?

Robert Logan

« Reply #5 on: 13/05/2017 at 09:08 »
Great news hope the work goes well with no hidden problems. Spring 2018 is just around the corner.

David James Murray

« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2017 at 20:10 »
Hi guys, here's a brief amateur drone view of the work so far. All the digging has been finished.... I mentioned in my first post about moving a few hundred tonnes of silt..... it was actually approx 12,000. 🙈 Dug every inch of the bottom. Anyway, I'm very pleased with how it's looking, and I'm sure this will make a huge difference to the fishing when it's refilled. Hopefully don't have to do this again for a good few years!
 All the grounds are being levelled, cultivated and seeded end of September, plus I'll install the aeration systems and stone features then too.
 Refill in November. Stock in March. Open April. That's the plan anyway......

https://youtu.be/jrGy4vfj918

Hope you like. 👍

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 21/07/2017 at 20:28 »
Great stuff David ...... really looking forward to fishing there again :z16

Cheers
Mike

Dave Robb

« Reply #8 on: 25/07/2017 at 14:38 »
Good to see it's being done properly, must be taking a heck of a lot of time, effort and money but we all know how busy that place used to be at its peak so should be worth it in the long run.

Robert Logan

« Reply #9 on: 25/07/2017 at 18:43 »
David good video hope everything goes well cannot wait.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 24/10/2018 at 12:35 »
Hi David :z16

How's progress going with the fishery ....... can we look forward to fishing there in 2019?

Best wishes
Mike

David James Murray

« Reply #11 on: 24/10/2018 at 12:42 »
Hi David :z16

How's progress going with the fishery ....... can we look forward to fishing there in 2019?

Best wishes
Mike

Hi Mike. How’s it going? I’ve been way too busy on projects in London, so had to hold off this year. I might be up shortly to finish off, it’s 95% done anyway.
 Any greenery is non-aquatic so is totally irrelevant. And I don’t anticipate a weed problem when filled.

Just need a system of around 17 aerators installed but I’ll get that in as soon as.

Other than that, it’ll be ready when it’s ready. 😊

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 24/10/2018 at 15:01 »
Great stuff David :z16

Looking forward to the big day ..... whenever it is ready :z12

Cheers
Mike

David James Murray

« Reply #13 on: 24/10/2018 at 22:12 »
Great stuff David :z16

Looking forward to the big day ..... whenever it is ready :z12

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike. I’ll keep you informed

John Miller McLaren

« Reply #14 on: 28/01/2019 at 17:28 »
Hi David
Are you opening caravan site again. My wife and i have used the site a lot when the lairds had it then Charlie. We used to go up for a week or fortnight 2 3 or 4 times a year. I spent every day fishing while the wife did her photography.both disappointed when it closed

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com