Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Keith Fraser

silly beads
« on: 07/05/2017 at 17:42 »
I was looking for rainbow beads for an old pattern I used to catch a lot of fish on, I ordered 4mm veniards beads but they would not fit any hooks I had. kamasan b100 size 10 kamasan b175 sizes 8,10,an,d12 they would not fit any of these. While I was looking for an alternative I came across this, cammo beads how silly is this,  can the fish see cammo beads, I thought beads are an attractor or am I wrong just thought it was silly or is it me
 ???  :

Rob Brownfield

Re: silly beads
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2017 at 11:53 »
If you think about it, natural nymphs are camouflaged.  If you tie a Hares Ear or a PTN, the materials are dull, brown and hard for us to sea...but the trout are used to it.

If the water is very clear, I switch to a black or brown beads on my PTNs. They still take fish.

The fly is normally passing over the fish, and in a river, that is pretty quickly. They are mainly seeing a silhouette or rough shape and have a split second to decided whether to take it or not.

The gold beads etc do add a "target", bit so far this year black and gunmetal have been working well :)

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2017 at 18:58 »
Don't worry about bead colour. It makes no odds, just get the fly down and past the fish properly. Chances are he will eat!

Here's my nymph box and I can confirm I have now caught on every single colour.

:z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2017 at 09:27 »
And just to add...some people don't like to use the big beads as they look a little out of proportion, so all you need to do is use a smaller bead and add wraps of lead behind the bead.

This works well with size 16 and 14 hooks as a 3mm or bigger bead can look a bit big and mask the point a little.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2017 at 09:39 »
Or you could use these  :z16 extra weight, look very neat and can be used as hotspots behind a camo bead :wink

https://www.tungsten-beads-plus.com/collections/tungsten-products/products/tungsten-collars

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 09/05/2017 at 12:07 »
Or you could use these  :z16 extra weight, look very neat and can be used as hotspots behind a camo bead :wink

https://www.tungsten-beads-plus.com/collections/tungsten-products/products/tungsten-collars

Sandy

I have lived in Aberdeen too long so use the cheap option ;)

I have some of these in orange and pink and they do look good, but 7 turns of tungsten wire drops a size 16 PTN like a stone :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com