Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Douglas Potter

I have been try to use fullingmill fluorocarbon, but the knot strength seems poor, I was broken today again losing what might have been a nice fish and 2 buzzers.
When tying a wet fly trace with 2 droppers what knots are best?

Hamish Young

Re: Broken again, wetfly casts, which knot to use?
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2017 at 19:27 »
What knots are you using now.....  ???

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2017 at 22:16 »
I use a 3 turn water knot , it works for me but I don't use fluo, I have the double strength  Mono, Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 02/05/2017 at 08:09 »
I am currently on Frog Hair Fluro and it seems pretty bomb proof.

I have used the Fulling Mill stuff in the past and used to use a double grinner for droppers, leaving one tag 6" long for the fly. This seemed to be the best method for that stuff, with most other knots causing breaks.

Dave Robb

« Reply #4 on: 02/05/2017 at 08:26 »
I can't get on with fluro at all but it's down to my knots which only work with mono.

I stick to Mikes stuff, Maxima Ultragreen or Drennan Subsarface Green if I can get hold of it.

James Craig

« Reply #5 on: 02/05/2017 at 09:43 »
I've been using tippet rings on most of my leaders since spying comments on the forum here about their merits.

Besides being able to vary and replace the length, strength and type of tippet, I've found it useful for adding droppers. This means using a couple of rings if you want two droppers, but personally I get in a bit of a muddle with lots of flies so tend to stick to one or two.

With the tippet rings, I attach the relevant parts using bloodknots (primarily out of laziness in not trying alternatives) but haven't had too much of an issue when using fluoro using Sightfree G3. I make sure to wet the knot before tightening and once tightened down I use my thumb nail to shunt the loops down whilst giving another pull on the tag with my teeth. I leave about 1mm of tag past the knot just in case the knot tightens down further, which does seem to happen on occasion with fluoro.

Just my thoughts!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com