Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Robb

Cock capes
« on: 26/04/2017 at 11:35 »
I've only ever bought cheap capes in the past as I've never really been into tying dry flies.  Probably due to the crap capes.  You all know the problem, rubbish barbs, too long, not stiff enough etc etc.

Anyway if I buy one expensive cape to begin with, I'm thinking grizzle as a general colour which can do many.

Any recommendations on which one to buy or are most of the higher end genetic capes much and such the same?  If there's good cheaper alternatives I'm all ears.

Maybe I should buy a half in order to get two colours?

Won't be tying anything too small, 14s and 16s.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Cock capes
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2017 at 12:15 »
I have Grizzle capes/saddles from Metz, Keough and Whiting..all good

The Metz genetic saddle I have was about £60, but the feathers are 10-12" long and uniform for their entire length. This means you can get up to 5 flies from one feather, and they will all be spot on. Thousands of flies are possible from one saddle.

Whiting have a good explanation on the amount and size of flies you can expect from a cape, depending on its grade.

http://whitingfarms.com/whitings-olympic-grading-system/

They seem expensive in the short term, but they work out incredibly cost effective over time and you get far more usable flies.

« Reply #2 on: 26/04/2017 at 13:03 »
Grizzle would be a very good starting point.

My recommendation would be for a Whiting pro grade cape, should cover a good range of fly sizes, 8-16 with a few smaller hackles as well. My understanding is that the grade of the cape is related more to the density of the hackles on the cape rather than a reflection of  the quality of the individual hackles.

Should be able to pick-up a pro-grade cape for forty-odd pound, some places also sell half capes.

Dave Robb

« Reply #3 on: 26/04/2017 at 13:30 »
Okay thanks for the replies, that link about the grading is a help.

A quick look at Lakeland Flytying is showing Whiting Gold capes at £99 although they are out of stock as are a few other places.

Certainly not paying that so Gold is likely to out of reach.

I will have a better look around the net tonight.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 26/04/2017 at 18:02 »
I have a Keogh Cape light red for Invicta hackles I can usually tie about 8 size 12 invictas with one feather, I found the saddles better than the Neck capes,Derek Roxborough

James Craig

« Reply #5 on: 26/04/2017 at 20:15 »
I bought a Whiting 'starter pack' for around £50 about 18 months ago. It has four half capes in grizzle, ginger, dun and cream and has a wide range of feather sizes.

Not sure of the grading of the capes but they do me just fine and will last for a long time to come.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 27/04/2017 at 08:12 »
James has beaten me to it, the Whiting capes introductory hackle pack are good value and contain as many hackles as you'll need for many years. I think there's more than just that pack available from Whiting stockists - I recall there being an 'Adams pack' which is useful. Metz also offer half capes and they're worth a look. I use capes from Metz, Whiting and many others - I have no particular preference but I tie far fewer dry flies these days.

Saddles have been mentioned and my advice here is buy the best you can and you will reap the rewards, as Rob has already said there's many a fly to come from a single feather. Also, you can often find 'genetic' saddle feathers sold in tying packs. I see those as being a good way of finding out what you like before buying a full or half cape/saddle.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 27/04/2017 at 08:20 »
Okay thanks for the replies, that link about the grading is a help.

A quick look at Lakeland Flytying is showing Whiting Gold capes at £99 although they are out of stock as are a few other places.

Certainly not paying that so Gold is likely to out of reach.

I will have a better look around the net tonight.

Blimey, prices have gone sky high!! All my capes were bought about 4 years ago for half that price  :shock

I see they are still "reasonable" in the US...do you know anyone over there that can buy for you?

Dave Robb

« Reply #8 on: 27/04/2017 at 10:11 »
I've been reading that prices we're forced up in recent years by the hair industry buying up current and future stocks of capes and saddles.

I have no idea why they need them :z8

Giving I don't intend tying anything smaller than a 16, I take it the saddles are the way forward?

Lakeland has pro grade Whiting half saddles for £28.75.  I don't and won't tie masses of flies so one of these should do for the time being?  Also the cost is more reasonable.

I'm also eyeing up a Whiting Coq de Leon saddle as I was going to buy a few feathers.  I take it these saddles seem to be reasonable value?

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/2665/products/whiting-coq-de-leon-rooster-saddle-bronze-grade.aspx

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 27/04/2017 at 12:56 »
I've been reading that prices we're forced up in recent years by the hair industry buying up current and future stocks of capes and saddles.

I have no idea why they need them :z8

Giving I don't intend tying anything smaller than a 16, I take it the saddles are the way forward?

Lakeland has pro grade Whiting half saddles for £28.75.  I don't and won't tie masses of flies so one of these should do for the time being?  Also the cost is more reasonable.

I'm also eyeing up a Whiting Coq de Leon saddle as I was going to buy a few feathers.  I take it these saddles seem to be reasonable value?

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/2665/products/whiting-coq-de-leon-rooster-saddle-bronze-grade.aspx

I have a few Pro Grades as I use them for Pike flies...ideal for Klinks and the like as well.

As for the hair thing......

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #10 on: 27/04/2017 at 13:59 »
look up Feather Emporium .com they have some bargains and they have some hard to get feathers, like Tragopan, but they do have some really nice colours, and although the postage can be tight the general prices aren't too bad, we did it with a couple of us and split the capes and the postage, Derek Roxborough

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #11 on: 27/04/2017 at 20:04 »
It may be worth your while to check out Chevron Hackles. All genetic capes & saddles are graded 1, 2, & 3.The complete genetic cock saddles start at around the £40 mark. (based in Devon, UK.)

link:-  http://www.chevronhackles.com/collection/cock-saddles

Hope this is some help.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #12 on: 27/04/2017 at 20:31 »
I see the whiting rooster capes at the feather emporium are $37,and the whiting packs are $5, just sort out the postage I wait 'til' I go to my sons and get the capes sent there, and bring them back that way,Derek Roxborough

Dave Robb

« Reply #13 on: 27/04/2017 at 22:05 »
I looked at Chevron Hackles however it says on their website their feathers are suitable for hook sizes 8-12.  I would want a bit smaller than that.

I also saw the Feather Emporium site when I was searching the net, does look good.  USA fly tiers  do seem to offer a better choice.

James Laraway

« Reply #14 on: 28/04/2017 at 14:14 »
if you want teeny weeny hackles go for the cape tops . They do lovely colours

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com