Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Biggest off the Don ?
« on: 25/04/2017 at 09:18 »
I was just wondering what the biggest brownie you have heard off ( and seen proof of existence) , from the Don ?

Im pretty sure i saw a 'double' but has anyone actually caught one ?

Duncan McRae

Re: Biggest off the Don ?
« Reply #1 on: 25/04/2017 at 13:38 »
Hi James

Many years ago there used to be a couple of stuffed trout in glass cases at the museum in Inverurie.
They were taken from the Inverurie burgh water and I think they weighed 9 and 10lbs.I can't remember the date or captor.
I don't think there is a museum in Inverurie theses days so I don't know what became of them.

Duncan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 25/04/2017 at 17:11 »
Scott catches the biggest I know of. He's my idol!  :z16

Missed him today actually......

:z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 25/04/2017 at 17:27 »
Ben had a belting fish which I think was in the 7lb class a few years back which was one of the biggest I've seen 'real' evidence of in recent times.
I have seen older photos (1980s I'd guess) of fish that would have gone 9lb+ and bigger.
In the flesh I saw one that would have weighed a comfortable 7lb being returned somewhere on the Upper Don in the mid-'90s. No weigh net, no camera but it was a big, big fish and I still recall the size of the bow-wake it left as it stormed across the pool after being released.  Unfortunately it was not to my rod and although I hunted that fish several times I never saw the bugger again  :cry
In my wanderings I've only ever seen a couple of fish that would have maybe gone double figures... none of them above Alford.
But, as we all know, these things are subjective.

H

Kev Graham

« Reply #4 on: 27/04/2017 at 21:54 »
Had one last year on the salmon gear fishing a sunray  @ 28.5 inches, i would have estimated it between 8 and 9lb.  I could not believe it was a brown when i got it in to the bank. Beautiful fish.

I have pictures, albeit shite ones.

KG

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #5 on: 27/04/2017 at 22:11 »
How many pms have you had asking which beat 😂😂

Duncan McRae

« Reply #6 on: 28/04/2017 at 10:28 »
Had one last year on the salmon gear fishing a sunray  @ 28.5 inches, i would have estimated it between 8 and 9lb.  I could not believe it was a brown when i got it in to the bank. Beautiful fish.

I have pictures, albeit shite ones.

KG

Hi Kev

I did hear about this fish last season from a fellow angler who had either seen the fish or the photographs.
An absolute cracker by all accounts.

Fish of a lifetime.Very well done.

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com