Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Felce

fly lines for carp
« on: 19/04/2017 at 10:45 »
Rio Carp line (wf6): i got one of these a couple of years ago to use with a Sage TCX #6. at the time I couldn't get on with it, but I was new to the rod as well. i've since got to love the rod which I finally paired with a Barrio SLX (cheers Mike!) and that worked a treat. i'm now using a Rio Grand wf6 which casts like a missile but a bit tricky to get delicate presentation, as you'd expect. so i thought i'd give the Carp a go again as it's a bit lighter and a longer head. first impressions were (again) that it doesn't load the rod as quickly (i sorta' expected that) & kinda dies on longer casts... my casting technique? wrong rod to pair it with?  back to the Barrio? (we know the answer to that one already.... :z4)

Mike Barrio

Re: fly lines for carp
« Reply #1 on: 21/04/2017 at 09:52 »
Hi Dave :z16

Not my forte I'm afraid :oops ....... What makes a good line for Carp?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2017 at 13:52 »
Hi Dave :z16

Not my forte I'm afraid :oops ....... What makes a good line for Carp?

Cheers
Mike

Two approaches to fly fishing for carp...surface flies such as big deer hair "pellets" or fake floating crust, or the American style which is often a weighted leech, crawfish or big beetle...thing bonefish flies.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2017 at 21:28 »
Looking at Daves post it strikes me Dave is observing that the Rio Carp line isn't measuring up on the rod the same way as the SLX or Grand already have and I think it's pretty fair to say that of the three lines that the Carp line from Rio puts presentation first above other properties - looking at the taper on-line suggests that to me, anyway.

I have some lines like that - take too long to get used to... I use them to tie up my roses  :wink

Stick with the SLX or the Grand is my view Dave.
You can persist with the Carp line and you'll get there eventually, but as both the Grand and the SLX will present delicately with timing I know what I'd do with the Carp line :z16 Can't say anything about your casting without having seen it first.

H

Dave Felce

« Reply #4 on: 03/05/2017 at 13:21 »
Looking at Daves post it strikes me Dave is observing that the Rio Carp line isn't measuring up on the rod the same way as the SLX or Grand already have and I think it's pretty fair to say that of the three lines that the Carp line from Rio puts presentation first above other properties - looking at the taper on-line suggests that to me, anyway.

I have some lines like that - take too long to get used to... I use them to tie up my roses  :wink

Stick with the SLX or the Grand is my view Dave.
You can persist with the Carp line and you'll get there eventually, but as both the Grand and the SLX will present delicately with timing I know what I'd do with the Carp line :z16 Can't say anything about your casting without having seen it first.

H

thanks Hamish! i'd pretty much come to that conclusion, so it's back to the Grand  :z18 the line i use on my heavier (#8wt) set up is a guideline coastal floating. this has a superb taper for carp, with some decent weight to  carry strange flies and yet a refined taper for delicacy. it's a great line. unfortunately they dropped it in the full-floater as most swff-ers preferred the intermediate...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com