Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Felce

Desert Carp
« on: 18/04/2017 at 08:48 »
I met two new American friends from Phoenix at the weekend. The guy is a very keen fly-fisher (apache trout,which look like a very pretty rainbow sub-species) but was aghast when I asked him about carp. "Trash fish; who’d want to fish for those??" So I did a bit of research and found some excellent footage of urban carp fishing in the drains of phoenix; which looks great fun, of course. A bit like fly fishing for pike in the dutch polders but with significantly better weather! I also gave him a few flies to get him started when he gets home. Hopefully another Carp Champion in the making. Rather a surreal situation with the guy from the UK pointing out the delights of fly fishing for carp to the guy from the US, I thought....  :z12

Mike Barrio

Re: Desert Carp New
« Reply #1 on: 18/04/2017 at 08:57 »
Yep ...... that's pretty Urban dave :z12

Rob Brownfield

Re: Desert Carp
« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2017 at 09:07 »
Most of them were Grass carp, which are not really known for their fighting ability. Its often said they fight more on the bank than in the water....but they are profound surface feeders :)

This is my favourite vid..almost like Tarpon or Bone fishing.....and site fishing too.

Dave Felce

« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2017 at 10:34 »
bit of a hike from Phoenix tho'....  :X2

i just wanted to show the guy what was in his back-yard

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 23/04/2017 at 08:53 »
Sooperb stuff Dave  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 24/04/2017 at 12:08 »
[facebook]https://www.facebook.com/mike.barrio.1/posts/10155549599756756?pnref=story[/facebook]

Dave Felce

« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2017 at 13:27 »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 03/05/2017 at 13:46 »
Fame ....... great stuff Dave :z16

Scott Cumming

« Reply #8 on: 04/05/2017 at 12:11 »
Quality photo Dave, :z16
I had my first go at fly fishing for Carp last August on that very Lake. It was nice to try something different. I was lucky enough to catch several lumps too... :z18

Scott Cumming

« Reply #9 on: 13/05/2017 at 07:51 »
I've dug out a few pics from my Gran Canaria experience...

The road to carp heaven

The temp was in the high 30’s when we arrived early afternoon. The Calima brought in a hot, dry and dust filled wind from the Sahara which made breathing difficult and the trek to the other side of the lake interesting!

The local crickets didn’t seem to mind the heat

It was late afternoon before I caught my first ever carp on the fly and plenty more were to follow

A great experience

:z18
Scott C

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 13/05/2017 at 10:33 »
Awesome  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com