Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Dubbing bushes
« on: 02/03/2017 at 16:41 »
Anyone make their own ? If so a lot of the commercial ones use some sort of wire as the 'core', but has anyone any idea what sort of wire ?

thinking about making some up for streamers etc

Hamish Young

Re: Dubbing bushes
« Reply #1 on: 03/03/2017 at 09:03 »
I asked this question of someone last year who said he was using a dubbing brush maker.
He said he simply used a light galvanised wire for big stuff, occasionally some stiff mono (not so successful) for lighter stuff but his main core material was simple round fly tying wire.

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 03/03/2017 at 09:16 »
i have lots of ''cheap' tying wire so will give it a go.

i have lots of 'flash' material that i would like to use for streamers so rather than dubbing loops i thought i could do a job lot of 'brushes' :-)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 03/03/2017 at 13:43 »
Use silver "bead stringing wire" for the bigger brushes. I have only done Pike sized ones but you can get different grades of this stuff in hobby shops.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 03/03/2017 at 21:14 »
Now When I saw the original heading I thought it wis about getting yer flees caught in the whins, :X2 easgach 1

Fred Hay

« Reply #5 on: 27/04/2017 at 08:30 »
The dubbing brush I use is made out of wooden dowel approx 20mm dia and approx 120mm long.   
Flattened on one side with a velcro patch 20 x 40mm stuck on the flat and a similar patch stuck  on the opposite (curved side) works well for all bodies and hackles. 
Easy to make from a piece of dowel.  Maybe sounds complicated but it's not - unfortunately don't have a photo but could add if interested.  Remember to use the the spikey part of the velcro not the looped side.
Alternative is to use a brass wire brush - used for cleaning guns - they come in various sizes from about 6mm dia up to 20mm dia
or use an old toothbrush

James Craig

« Reply #6 on: 27/04/2017 at 09:29 »
The dubbing brush I use is made out of wooden dowel approx 20mm dia and approx 120mm long.   
Flattened on one side with a velcro patch 20 x 40mm stuck on the flat and a similar patch stuck  on the opposite (curved side) works well for all bodies and hackles. 
Easy to make from a piece of dowel.  Maybe sounds complicated but it's not - unfortunately don't have a photo but could add if interested.  Remember to use the the spikey part of the velcro not the looped side.
Alternative is to use a brass wire brush - used for cleaning guns - they come in various sizes from about 6mm dia up to 20mm dia
or use an old toothbrush

I've done something similar;

I cut a strip off of an old credit card (ok, a Nandos loyalty card) and glued a patch of Velcro to the end. It's a bit 'simple', but works well for scruffing nymph bodies and hare's ear etc. It also cost virtually nothing.

James

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com