Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Chap Quarry
« on: 19/11/2007 at 23:07 »
Anyone know anything about Chap quarry trout fishery ???

i was listerning to the radio last week when northsound were doing there cash for kids auction and they auctioned a days fishing at chap quarry for 4 people with a 4 fish ticket. its apparently stocked with rainbows upto 3lb and due to open soon.

have had a few customers ask if i knew anything about it but so far come up blank with a google search.

Anyone else heard anything about it?

andrew

Hamish Young

Re: Chap Quarry
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2007 at 00:15 »
There were rumours, about 3 years ago, that part of the Park Quarry at Drumoak (which belongs to Chap) was to opened as a trout fishery but I've heard nowt since then. Nice spot for a fishery that - except for the live quarrying activities still going on  :shock

It's more than possible that Chap would have several old quarries suitable for conversion to a fishery but other than that I'm none the wiser  ???

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 20/11/2007 at 13:25 »
Chap Construction , Aberdeenshire - 748500

Irvine Ross

« Reply #3 on: 21/11/2007 at 08:53 »
A pond at the Park gravel quarry near Drumoak has been stocked with rainbow trout. So far as I know, until now it has only been fished by Chap employees. I will try to find out more and will post any information here if I do.

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 26/11/2007 at 09:26 »
 :shock :shock :shock

As it is still a working quarry (I get stuck behind there lorries every morning  :roll) I am supprised that the Health and Safety Executive would allow "visitors". This is how we lost out club water down in Fife.

Also, this is the site for a new housing development and the "Loch" is clearly part of the plans, being surrounded by houses...the plans were in the P and J a few months back.

Having said that, I would be more worried about having Rainbows so close to the Dee.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 26/11/2007 at 14:28 »
It'd be alright Rob - to get in the Dee they'd need to get up and walk  :wink And the quarry hasn't been flooded by the Dee yet. Know what you mean about the trucks..... I usually get stuck behind one or two on the way home from a nightshift  :z10 ................. and some wee papa romeo india charlie kilo in a 106 GTi who really doesn't like being overtaken  :roll

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 26/11/2007 at 15:20 »
It'd be alright Rob - to get in the Dee they'd need to get up and walk  :wink

I hope so :) If you look on Live Search or Google Earth the loch is 84 metres from the Dee....if its the one on the right, or 174 meters if its the one at the top. Both are still pretty much surrounded by sand though. I don't think it would be a very relaxing place to fish!!  :shock I thought the river was a tad higher than it is, I forgot that the inside of that bend is quite high out the water. thats good then, but there are still 150 luxury houses going up there though :(

Irvine Ross

« Reply #7 on: 26/11/2007 at 21:11 »
Houses yes, but not ordinary houses, instead it will be an environmentaly friendly eco -village! All near carbon neutral and community oriented with lots of new trees and the ponds.

None of this will happen for a few years yet as they have to exhaust the quarry before they think about starting building.

You might think about putting your name down for one now :z4

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 27/11/2007 at 08:02 »
Eco friendly my foot! Yet another ploy to get planning permission in a green belt area  :cry

Irvine Ross

« Reply #9 on: 27/11/2007 at 08:39 »
Well technically not "green belt" as defined by the local authority but instead "open countryside". Anyway it is planned to be as near to eco-friendly as any new settlement can be.

Unfortunately the fishing rights on the Dee belong to someone else so the freedom to fish for salmon on the Drum beat will not be part of the title deeds :cry

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 27/11/2007 at 12:51 »
Unfortunately the fishing rights on the Dee belong to someone else so the freedom to fish for salmon on the Drum beat will not be part of the title deeds :cry

Irvine

Like you or I where ver going to be able to afford one of those!..lol..and yes, countryside, sorry. as someone who has been trying to get permission to build my own Eco house  I have a lot to say about planning permission/back handers!  :mad

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com