Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Carry On Camping ........
« Reply #30 on: 01/03/2017 at 20:59 »
I'd go back to Hoddom :z16 Plenty room and decent breakfast on site.

Fishing was pretty darn good too :z12

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 01/03/2017 at 21:03 »
I'd go back to Hoddom :z16 Plenty room and decent breakfast on site.

Fishing was pretty darn good too :z12

Sandy

Gets my vote too Sandy :z16
Next question ............... When? How's about June?

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 02/03/2017 at 07:02 »
June sounds good to me  :z16

end of the second week -14th-18th  or 3rd week - 23rd-26th.  A combination of say, 3 nights, in that window?

We fished it in June last time and the yellow may hatches on an evening were great :z18 fishing was best 5pm to dark, although we did find some grayling during the day. if I remember rightly was there not a Pike lake somewhere nearby as well?

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #33 on: 02/03/2017 at 11:09 »
Sandy, Mike,

June before the 23rd would work for me.

I am overseas for a couple of weeks after that.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 02/03/2017 at 11:28 »
Great stuff :z12

So Sandy and I are going to drive down to Hoddom Castle ( http://www.hoddomcastle.co.uk/ ) and set up our tent on Thursday 15th June ready to fish in the evening :cool: We will stay for 3 nights and pack up on the Sunday morning for the drive home.

Let's make this a forum trip? Anybody that would like to come along is welcome to join us. There are pods at the campsite for those without tents ( best to book the pods early as they are in high demand ) and you can simply book the days that are suitable for you directly with the campsite :z16

Cheers
Mike

Liam Stephen

« Reply #35 on: 02/03/2017 at 13:47 »
Me and Sandy spoke about this last time we fished. I'm definitely up for it! Michael (windknot) if you are reading this do you fancy it?

The pods are ace I've stayed in them in Avimore and Inverness as it was the closest to camping I could do with Sophie. :z4

:z18

Michael Buchan

« Reply #36 on: 03/03/2017 at 10:32 »
Count me in.  Be good to escape from the wife and kids for a weekend and as a bonus I have always wanted to fish the Annan  :z16.

Liam I have plenty of camping gear so give me a phone and we can decide on pod, camp, caravan.

Me and wife used to tent a lot but given our girls are just 9mths and 2.5years felt the caravan was the way to go so bought one September last year.  Already had some great trips away and the oldest just loves it.  Would rather they both  grew up playing in burns, fishing, picking up acorns etc than sitting in front of a tv or ipad and the bonus is most campsites are close to some loch, river or sea so I should get some extra fishing done as well.

Michael

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 03/03/2017 at 10:49 »
Great stuff Michael :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 31/01/2018 at 14:42 »
So ...... the Hoddom camping trip was good fun last year ... see https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7808.15

Who is up for one or two trips this year?

Up to Assynt/Durness maybe? ..... or somewhere closer if you'd prefer?

Liam Stephen

« Reply #39 on: 31/01/2018 at 18:31 »
I’d be up for the closer one  :z18

Peter Davidson

« Reply #40 on: 31/01/2018 at 20:10 »
So ...... the Hoddom camping trip was good fun last year ... see https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7808.15[/url

Up to Assynt/Durness maybe? ..... or somewhere closer if you'd prefer?

Assynt would be an obvious choice for those "Easty Beasties" as Durness is a longer run and as an absolute beginner I would argue the choice of fishing is more varied in Assynt.
Whichever venue - I'll try to make it this year. June sounds good - post snow and pre midge - west coast prime time.

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: 31/01/2018 at 20:18 »
I have an inkling I'd like to fish Dunalastair Loch and bits of the Tummel or maybe River and Loch Arkaig.... as I've yet to explore those, but what qualifies as a closer one :?  :z13

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #42 on: 01/02/2018 at 00:05 »
Mike,
I would be up for either. I already have two trips to Durness planned for this year but assuming the dates fall in with work commitments then count me in.

Eddie :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #43 on: 01/02/2018 at 08:26 »
I'm up for a trip :z16

Anywhere/anytime (within reason) pretty much suits me :z18

Sandy

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #44 on: 01/02/2018 at 09:44 »
I'm up for a trip :z16

Anywhere/anytime (within reason) pretty much suits me :z18

Sandy

Me too  :z16

Ash

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com