Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Carry On Camping ........
« on: 27/02/2017 at 10:31 »
Has camping gone out of fashion?

I've got three tents and am trying to resist the buy it now button for a fourth one that has taken my fancy! :z4

I've also been eyeing up the wee Eriba caravans, I've never had a caravan and must confess that I do fancy one ..... I guess it is all about the outdoors :cool:

Any keen campers in the forum? What have you got?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: Carry On Camping ........
« Reply #1 on: 27/02/2017 at 11:27 »
I am a "rough camper" most of the time, so its a sleeping bag, bivvy bag and if its poor weather, a waterproof sheet to make a "basha".

However, if we are being "posh", we have a Vaude 2 man tent which super simple to put up, very light and even has a wee area for storing wet kit or to cook in.

Seriously considering a Snugpak Scorpion 3 as its one of the few tents that gives you enough room to sit up and cook in the porch area whilst still having the aerodynamics required for a typical Scottish windy day.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2017 at 11:43 »
Great stuff Rob :z16

I guess my Force 10 is the closest to your kind of camping, but I wouldn't like to carry it too far :z4

I spent many a night in the bush with just a sleeping bag and tarp in New Zealand as a youngster, but I'm probably getting a bit old for that now :z3

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2017 at 12:49 »
Great stuff Rob :z16

I guess my Force 10 is the closest to your kind of camping, but I wouldn't like to carry it too far :z4

I spent many a night in the bush with just a sleeping bag and tarp in New Zealand as a youngster, but I'm probably getting a bit old for that now :z3

Cheers
Mike

Never too old to be cold and uncomfortable Mike. :)

I used to have a force 10 many years ago...great when you could just role it out the back of a Landy unto your pitch :)

Duncan McRae

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2017 at 14:06 »
Hi Mike

My wife and I used to do a fair bit of camping but age has caught up with us.Too much aches and pains in the morning.

Seriously looking at Freedom lightweight caravans which can be towed by practically any motor.
Would be great to finish work on a Friday and just head off without any plans for the weekend.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2017 at 14:40 »
Hi Duncan,

Yes, the Freedom and Eriba lightweight vans are very similar, I reckon they'd be fun for weekends ..... near some fishing of course :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Liam Smith

« Reply #6 on: 27/02/2017 at 15:16 »
Hi Mike,

My partner and I have a tent that we use for the odd weekend trip, when we get one of those 'rare' sunny weekends in the summer. I often make a point of booking a pitch near a fishery...

A campsite near Blair Drummond and Lake of Menteith springs to mind.  Camping can be over-looked - but weather permitting it can make for a great weekend!

Does anyone have any similar combinations that make for a good location and fishery for a short weekend break?

Liam.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 27/02/2017 at 15:31 »
Hoddom Castle Liam ...... great fishing on the Annan within walking distance of the camping grounds :z16
http://www.hoddomcastle.co.uk/index.html

Alford and Huntly locally and I'm sure that Hamish could come up with a few suggestions for up North too.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 27/02/2017 at 18:11 »
Maybe we could think about a forum camping trip at some stage this year :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 28/02/2017 at 08:20 »
Maybe we could think about a forum camping trip at some stage this year :cool:

In the grounds of a hotel so that the softer ones can have a bed for the night!!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 28/02/2017 at 09:38 »
I've thought about a wee caravan quite a bit, but the conclusion that I keep coming to is that I don't fancy towing one about or having one sitting in the drive.

Sleeping under canvas is more fun and with a self inflating Vango mat under your sleeping bag .... can be very comfortable :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Duncan McRae

« Reply #11 on: 28/02/2017 at 10:24 »
Storage is the only concern I have with getting a wee caravan.
My driveway is too small but there is a storage facility at Pitmedden which isn't that far away for me.

Duncan

Rob Brownfield

Re: Carry On Camping ........ New
« Reply #12 on: 28/02/2017 at 11:21 »
I've thought about a wee caravan quite a bit, but the conclusion that I keep coming to is that I don't fancy towing one about or having one sitting in the drive.

Sleeping under canvas is more fun and with a self inflating Vango mat under your sleeping bag .... can be very comfortable :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Howling Moon roof tent. Size of a small caravan but without the towing :)

Although I saw these on TV the other night...look like an awesome solution! http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=638

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 28/02/2017 at 11:47 »
Personally ..... I think an Oztent is far more practical than a roof tent Rob :z3

Cheers
Mike

Kev Danby

« Reply #14 on: 28/02/2017 at 13:26 »
We still camp but usually involves a site on the coast and sea fishing. Sand End is a great site and intend to target flatties on the fly this year.

We have a Quecha 4 man pop up tent which great for the weekend otherwise its a Millenium dome Vango tent with loads of space.

Usually we get 8 - 12 trips in a year

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com