Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Troutgetter

My brothers gift
« on: 15/10/2006 at 19:58 »
Good gents (and applicable ladies)
Yesterday was a fine day indeed. It had little to do with fishing and much to do about friendship.
Yesterday the ol' lady went to town and while there she stopped by the post office.
Among the pile of credit card offers (yes...my bamboo rodmaking biz is apparently very successful LOL) was a post card from my lost daughter who was in Europe, a deposit check from a customer, and...TWO bottles of fine scotch whisky!
My heart and thanks go out to you, Mr. Livingstone!
A handwritten note was stuffed in the box (you folks remember what that is? LOL) explaining that this is the last year this distillery would be making this recipe. Though they have probably changed their recipe since 1797, I am hesitant to open either bottle! Sh!t.
The note also went on to explain the manner in which to mix a scotch and water. No worries. Single malt is for sipping (undiluted) at one's liesure.

Now Mr. Liovingstone used to live just up the hill from this particular distillery...Glen Garioch.  And...while he was quick to tell me this was NOT his favorite,  he hoped I might enjoy it all the same.
The rod I made him had a reel seat cut from an oak barrel laying in a heap at their junk yard. I have made a couple of others. Both for the same good man who lives in Southern Oregon. Everytime I make one, it fills the shop with a scent that is indiscribable! The piece of wood gets hot as it is turned and bored and the aroma simply fills the shop! It is...wonderful!
But...to receive this totally unexpected gift in the mail, on a day that was not going particularly well was a God send. This from your atheistic brother.
It is so very true, it's not the gift...it's the bro' who sent it wishing one well.
Though Mike started out as a customer/client, he quickly turned into my Scottish brother. I hope one day to actually meet and shake his hand.
The meaning behind this letter?
Of course there is a meaning!
I am probaby 6-7000 miles from all of you. Yet because of this board, I have a brother in at least one of you, and I beleive more.
Thanks Mike. Now I have to decide what to do with these bottles! LOL
My best to you all,
Mike

Peter McCallum

My brothers gift
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2006 at 22:49 »
Fill a glass from the bottle and toast the brothers of the angle here, there and everywhere.

Enjoy it cos as they say 'you cant take it with you' :grin:

Peter

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com