Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Nick Jessel

Titanium leader tips
« on: 23/02/2017 at 18:32 »
Hi folks,

I have a question about how you use level T-tip material in your leader set up. I have never used this fast sinking material, and I can imagine it is useful in fast flowing  pools fishing deep for sea trout and salmon.

How do you set it up for river fishing? Would you simply cut it to the same dimensions as a poly leader or Verdi Leader?

I would see myself using this on the end of my barrio switch line, or rio short scandi versi tip.

Hamish Young

Re: Titanium leader tips
« Reply #1 on: 23/02/2017 at 20:28 »
The 'T' stands for tungsten Nick, not titanium. Tungsten powder in different levels is added to the 'mix' to create T tips of different sink rates  :z16

Depending on what rating 'T' you're using to make your tips I might start with a length  of 6' and cut back until it is vaguely pleasant  just about castable without causing major injuries to myself or bystanders. Experimentation is the key.

H

Nick Jessel

« Reply #2 on: 23/02/2017 at 20:34 »
Thanks Hamish, I'm sure I'd read that it was tungsten before, my mistake.

Does that 6' suggestion balance better with a larger fly?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 24/02/2017 at 08:53 »
The other option is to go "Skagit" with a Switch rod if fishing trout, or a Salmon rod if..well...no need to explain :) (Can also do it single handed, but not tried that myself).

I am using T11 and T14 tips up to 12.5 feet and with a double hander and correct line, they fly out.

Not pretty, but I am currently chucking a 2.5" brass tube and 10 feet of T11 across the far side of the Don and getting the fly down deep. That's on a 9 weight 14 footer. The switch rod is a 7 weight 11 footer and can chuck heavy leaded streamers and a 7.5 foot T-11.

I think I would be right in saying that using on a Scandi line would cause issues. There is a good youtube video explaining the whys and what fors of line selection for use with T-tips, but basically a Scandi does not have enough concentrated weight to pull the tips from the water and is too long in the head.

A Skagit line answers those problems..

The other thing is the cast itself. The use of a sustained anchor makes like sooooo much easier. I find myself snap-T, circle C and perry poking my way down a pool without to many disasters :)

Nick Jessel

« Reply #4 on: 10/03/2017 at 19:31 »
Thanks Rob,

I tend to fish shorter rods in the double handed variety: 13ft #8 and a switch 11' #7

I have the barrio switch line which is quite well weighted in the front, but not as aggressive as a Slaggit. Do you match a skaggit to you switch rod?

I may try out a 6'  T10 on the shooting head with my 13' rod first.  I'm on the Earn which has cold generating water that keeps the fish down.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 13/03/2017 at 11:30 »
Thanks Rob,

I tend to fish shorter rods in the double handed variety: 13ft #8 and a switch 11' #7

I have the barrio switch line which is quite well weighted in the front, but not as aggressive as a Slaggit. Do you match a skaggit to you switch rod?

I may try out a 6'  T10 on the shooting head with my 13' rod first.  I'm on the Earn which has cold generating water that keeps the fish down.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you go onto the Rio or Airflo websites, they both have charts with all the popular rods and recommendations for lines.  Removes the guesswork!

http://www.rioproducts.com/spey-line-recs
https://www.airflofishing.com/airflo_us_downloads/Airflo_Spey_Compatibility_Chart.pdf

I use a Skagit on my 14 foot Loop 9 weight and my 11 foot  Helios 7 weight switch.

The 14 footer casts a 575 gr head miles with 10 feet of T11 or 14 and a 2.5" copper tube.

The Switch is used for hurling big streamers at trout and I use a 575 gr head on that with a "Medium" MOW tip, typically with a 5 foot floating section and a 5 foot sinking section.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com