Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan McRae

Re: River Ythan 2017
« Reply #45 on: 03/10/2017 at 13:12 »
Hi Sandy

No, i haven't encountered the seal yet.The bailiffs were telling me about it last week.I must be the only one who hasn't seen it.
Maybe that explains the lack of fish last week :wink

Are you still fishing the Ythan?Thought i might have bumped into you as i've been sneaking onto your favourite stretch of the river where i have had a bit of success.

Duncan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #46 on: 04/10/2017 at 08:39 »
Hi Duncan

not been out as much as i would like, for various reasons but will try a bit harder this month.
I have seen you a few times, but not wanted to interrupt you, but i'm sure i'll bump into you at some point.
My stretch isn't that long and you are the only other person i've seen fishing it from our bank, tricky with a single hander though :wink 6wt Switch makes things much easier.

Here's my friend from the other day, difficult to get close to him, but you know where he is!!

Sandy

Duncan McRae

« Reply #47 on: 04/10/2017 at 09:54 »
Hi Sandy

Yes,casting is tricky there.Have been trying to cast over my left shoulder but it's hard going.There's a fair few of my flees in the trees behind. :cry

I'm amazed at your photo.How on earth did he get through the shallow streams below?

Duncan

Graham Allan

« Reply #48 on: 02/11/2017 at 16:42 »
Hi All,
I managed home for the last few days of the season  and went up on Monday  for a wee look. 
Worked the fly and spinner  through the beat for nothing .I got to my favourite pool to find out two friends had fished it up and down with the spinners for nothing .
I decided to try the flee -floating line with a 15ft fast sink tip and 2 small flies .
Half way down the pool the line swung in  to a large bolder sticking out of the bank with a nice deep eddy behind it I let everything hang for a while everything looked perfect :wink then wallop I was rewarded with my first Ythan salmon on the fly .
A nice hen fish that quickly went back.
Chuffed to bits and a perfect end to a damned good season. 

Regards
Graham.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #49 on: 03/11/2017 at 11:33 »
A great end to your season Graham.Well done.

My last Ythan fish was also a hen of around 11lb.Heavily laden with eggs,she was landed quickly and swam off strongly.

Fished the Gicht water on the final day but nothing doing.What a lovely peaceful place to fish.Will try again next season.

Have thoroughly enjoyed fishing the Ythan this season.Roll on the start of next season.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #50 on: 03/11/2017 at 11:56 »
Yes, it's really nice up that valley Duncan :cool:

Graham Allan

« Reply #51 on: 04/11/2017 at 16:55 »
Hi Duncan,
Thats a bonnie fish well done. I plan to fish the fly a bit more next season now that the confidence levels are up a bit .
Hopefully  try for a few finnock on the light rod at the start of the season.
I never made it up as far as the Gicht this season I was hoping to get up with the worm looks like a lovely spot I might have a walk up with he dog this time home .

Regards
Graham.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com