Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Lawrence Hunt

Pike
« on: 19/02/2017 at 10:43 »
Hi all

New to here, but know some of you from elsewhere. I live just outside of Banchory and have spent much of the past 20 years chasing salmon and sea trout both near and far. my boys are keen to fish but need a little more action to keep engaged than a day chasing salmon....esp with the decline in the past few years. They are, however, very taken by pike!

We've fished Aboyne (good fun and reasonable action), Kinnord (is there anything left...even the dumped dead bait that was present wasn't being eaten), Callater (good fun but a long treck in for the kids), Morlich (great fun for small fish) and Insh (expensive!!).

Appreciate folk may not want to share spots publicly, esp with pike regularly being taken out, but any hints and tips on where/when to go would be appreciated. This is a new style of fishing to me, and whilst we've been doing well using my salmon rapalas I'm also keen to get into the fly soon as well.

Cheers

Lawrence

Mike Barrio

Re: Pike
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2017 at 14:34 »
Hi Lawrence ...... Welcome to the forum :z16

Not a topic that I can help with I'm afraid, but maybe somebody can offer you some ideas via a PM message.

Best wishes
Mike

Lawrence Hunt

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2017 at 18:54 »
Thanks Mike

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2017 at 20:11 »
Welcome Lawrence   :z16

I'm sure our resident 'Pike Guru' Rob will be along soon. He's a bit secretive at times though......  :X2 :z4

:z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2017 at 11:38 »
Not secretive...it is open knowledge that the hey days of Pike fishing round here is well and truly gone :(

Lawrence Hunt

« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2017 at 15:03 »
Thanks all - maybe I already had it covered?! Will give the Loch of Skene a go this year, and look to be a bit more pro-active around Aviemore too.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com