Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cillian Daly

Float tubes
« on: 13/02/2017 at 20:09 »
Hi all

First post here

Just wondering about getting a float tube for some trout fly fishing in hill loughs in Ireland and some pike fly fishing, Im 6,5 and hefty fella so I'd need a tube that can carry alot of weight  :z7 I was looking at the Vision keeper iso float tube and some Super fat cat tubes but their a bit expensive any ideas?

Thanks all

Mike Barrio

Re: Float tubes
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2017 at 21:13 »
Hi Cillian ...... welcome to the forum :z16

I'm a bit out of touch with the latest float tubes on offer, I haven't bought one for a while I'm afraid.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help with some suggestions.

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2017 at 08:47 »
Hi all

First post here

Just wondering about getting a float tube for some trout fly fishing in hill loughs in Ireland and some pike fly fishing, Im 6,5 and hefty fella so I'd need a tube that can carry alot of weight  :z7 I was looking at the Vision keeper iso float tube and some Super fat cat tubes but their a bit expensive any ideas?

Thanks all

Hi  :z18

How big exactly..... some tubes don't take to the 'larger chap' who carries more ballast.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2017 at 12:01 »
Floatmaster XL....

http://floattube.co.uk/

Cillian Daly

« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2017 at 08:33 »
Hi all

I'm 6,5 18st but bring a good bit of gear with me!

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2017 at 20:41 »
You need to be in the upper size of 'tubes.
As most of the designs for the 'bigger chap' are from across the pond you'll need to consider something that will do 300+ lbs and that will limit your choices. Caddis Naviagtor II (if you can find one new) is what I use and I'm a fat git meaty kind of fella  :shock
Do not be tempted by anything with a lower carrying ability than 300lbs.....

James Laraway

Guideline drifter
« Reply #6 on: 27/04/2017 at 09:52 »
I got my new tube last night and i have to say i am VERY impressed with the quality. And from a safety perspective there are : double bladders both sides ( so a total of 4 !) plus the seat inflates ( 1 bladder for the back and one for the seat bottom)

its like a super-luxury cruiser - cant wait to try it

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 27/04/2017 at 09:58 »
Looks great ....... enjoy :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 27/04/2017 at 10:24 »
thanks Mike. One really important thing for me was saftey, particularly as i'll be out on the hill lochs.  Having the extra air bladders will certainly give me more confidence on the water. I also went into an 'outdoor shop' and tried a canoeing/kayaking life preserver - they are very good as they are designed for allowing maximum arm movement. The one i got ( a company called Palm) was only £45 . I have a manual ( canister) inflatable life jacket but i ways dreaded needing it, pulling the cord and nothing happening so much happier now

wa also advised to get some big diving fins , rather than the 'tubing specific' ones  - as they will propel you faster when needed

so all ready to go !

« Reply #9 on: 27/04/2017 at 12:36 »
That tube looks the business.

If you plan on carrying your float tube into the hills, it might be worth looking into using neoprene rock boots and matching scuba fins. Far lighter than wading boots and larger fins.

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 28/04/2017 at 10:14 »
well, i did get these

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 28/04/2017 at 10:15 »
with some of these..

« Reply #12 on: 28/04/2017 at 12:29 »
They look good, I use a very similar setup.

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 28/04/2017 at 18:15 »
I also went into an 'outdoor shop' and tried a canoeing/kayaking life preserver - they are very good as they are designed for allowing maximum arm movement. The one i got ( a company called Palm) was only £45 .

Not teaching anyone to suck eggs here, PFDs are super but they have a drawback or two when compared to a life jacket...

PFDs are great for a conscious/able person but not so good for someone who has become incapacitated due to cold water immersion,  has limited mobility, or is suffering from acute shock due to a 'dunking' or perhaps even a heart attack. A life jacket is intended to assist in rolling a casualty onto their back and keeping that casualty 'face up'  whereas the PFD wearer needs to maintain significant control at all times.

Personally, rather than a PFD, I chose to wear a life jacket for float tubing or where boats are of questionable quality or where the rules require it. I have never felt that it gets in my way or causes issues when fishing.
It is serviced annually, although the manufacturer says once every two years, and I check it myself regularly. Most folk don't bother to service or check their life jackets and it surprises me - ten minutes checking could save a life and a small service bill the same. OK, a life jacket does not have the inherent buoyancy of a PFD (unless inflated, obviously! In which case it's much more buoyancy) but I have never ever seen (at work or recreationally) a well-serviced standard life jacket do anything other than what it is intended to.
I don't dispute that PFDs are cheap safety, but I do question if they're the right tool for the job for anglers and float tubes. It's a personal choice, of course, and a PFD is absolutely 100% better than nothing.

H

Peter Davidson

« Reply #14 on: 28/04/2017 at 19:28 »
Absolutely agree with Hamish. I maybe the Absolute beginner at fly fishing but I have 20+years experience in dealing with casualties who do not listen to good advice. PFDs' - great for safe, group activity but if you are on your own for 1 minute or more, AT ANY TIME, in the water, buy a life jacket - please and make it so less likely we will meet professionally.
Rant over. - Would love to have a go at tubing sometime.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com