Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Cumming

Re: River Don 2017
« Reply #240 on: 22/06/2017 at 10:09 »
The evening rises have been slow so far this year, I would expect better sedge hatches by now. However, there has been some decent BWO hatches lately which have brought some nice fish to the surface.

This Bruiser was caught on a size 16 BWO emerger. I thought this fish looked familiar when I brought him to the net as I don’t catch many big fish with red spots... :?

I’ve searched through my fish pics and can confirm I caught this trout 3 years ago about 150 yards upstream. The trouts been in a few scrapes since its last capture and lost part of it’s tail, but this didn’t stop him putting up one hell of a fight.

Heres how it looked on the 29th of June 2014. It was a strong, sturdy fish back then! :z16

Using the rods in each photo as scale I’ve come up with an impression of how the fish would look side by side. Over the 3 years it has grown into a solid lump.... :z18

I’ve had several others similar in size to this one too...

So a decent start to the evening fishing for me but I think the best of the action has yet to come.

:z18
Cheers
Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #241 on: 22/06/2017 at 10:16 »
Great stuff Scott, interesting to see that growth scaled photo :z16
Cheers
Mike

Dave Felce

« Reply #242 on: 22/06/2017 at 10:51 »
wow!  :z12

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #243 on: 22/06/2017 at 11:47 »
Very interesting 👍🏻 Great post

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #244 on: 22/06/2017 at 19:44 »
Thats pretty cool dude :z16

Loving the mashed up photo, shows how they change shape as they grow, especially the head. Well spotted :z5

Sandy

Euan Innes

« Reply #245 on: 24/06/2017 at 23:42 »
CSI Don!
It is like finger printing with spots.
You say the fishing is slow so far. Just back from Ravenna, Italy, where I have suffered in 32 degrees plus for the last three days (work not holiday before you moan) and tonight in Edzell Woods is bloody freezing. OK, so not "freezing" but there is a cold wind about.
A Russian boat I went to in Kirkenes, Norway (look it up) in the first week in June was delayed by three weeks as the seas round Murmansk were still iced up. Any relationship to the rivers here?
I don't want to start a climate change / global warming / weather argument on this, but would just like to state the facts (like Dragnet!)

Euan  :z1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #246 on: 26/06/2017 at 07:36 »
Excellent stuff Scott

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #247 on: 26/06/2017 at 15:08 »
Out for a few hours last night in the wind :( One fish hooked and lost on one of those PTN things that a certain person raves about ;)

Disappointed not to see any real fish, just 3-6" things splashing about.

River was incredibly low :(

Out again tonight before the daughter returns and creates merry hell :(

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #248 on: 27/06/2017 at 08:30 »
Fished the lower Don last night, and I really wish I hadn't. The amount of rubbish laying around was heartbreaking.

Just upstream from Grandhome bridge the banks are littered with alcohol bottles, BBQs, sites of fires and more worryingly, home made bongs and needles.....and I meant littered. There are at least 4 separate sites where drinking/drug taking have taken place in groups.  In addition there are bits of burnt foil scattered throughout the area along with what I can only presume are stolen chairs from either the rugby club or a local community centre.

I was approached by three teenagers who started to ask questions about how much my gear was worth. This was on the road bridge itself and they were positioned so that my back was against the bridge and they were blocking my way. It was a tense 5 minutes before they got bored of me saying it was cheap stuff I bought on ebay. In reality I had £1000 in my hand! (Helios and a Mirage) and probably the same again in waders, jacket, pack and net.

I know the association cannot do anything about it, but guys, please be careful down there and probably best to fish in at least pairs through the summer months.

I then headed to the Pump House Pool on the Dee to see if there were any trout rising there or maybe a salmon or two. This time it was bonfires, booze and towels left laying around.

I headed home rather p!ssed off!

Dave Felce

« Reply #249 on: 27/06/2017 at 09:05 »
that's pretty scary stuff, Rob: glad you're okay. & glad i don't have to worry about that kinda' thing here (yet....)

Dave Robb

« Reply #250 on: 27/06/2017 at 10:37 »
Yeah that's not good, but it's the very reason I don't fish anywhere lower than Dyce.  And for me, even Dyce has too many people going about.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #251 on: 27/06/2017 at 12:01 »
I had the same happen on Saturday. Luckily I was with someone.

There was some sort of junkie/alkie convention going on. I think had I been on my own there could have been trouble.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #252 on: 28/06/2017 at 16:52 »
Fished there last night and no such excitement for me however I did get a real scare from a ferocious beast I found lurking in the undergrowth, didn't hang around too long to see if it was pissed, spaced oot or just sleeping

On the plus side troots were responsive and had a cracking wee evening with the dries (proper fishin) and no wee boys methods used :)

No 'Jakies' or 'Zoomers' were harmed in the making of this evening  :z4 :z4

Liam Stephen

« Reply #253 on: 04/07/2017 at 16:42 »
It has been quiet both on here and the river of late. Hatches have been iffy and the rises have mostly been poor or very short lived. I've never timed it right and stumbled across anything sizeable yet.

The daytime action has been pretty good fun. Bouncing nymphs down the really fast water mainly with the occasional riser to throw a dry at. Nothing huge has been landed by myself of late. Guys I've had out have had some nice fish and I landed my first trophy for some time yesterday.

Now where to head tonight.....?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #254 on: 05/07/2017 at 09:08 »
Cracker Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com