Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Robb

Re: River Don 2017
« Reply #150 on: 27/04/2017 at 10:03 »
Was out at Fintray for a couple of hours last night.  Still pretty cold and the water was murky which was to be expected.  Got one fish just over the 1lb mark late on but didn't touch or see anything else.  By that point I was just stripping a rather large Teal Blue and Silver looking for a reaction ideally from something big.

As it got dark it was very calm but nothing moving on top at all.

I've been lucky to get out a few times this last week but I think I will leave it a few days see if the weather settles down. Looked like a fair bit of snow stilly lying on the hills.   

Hopefully Sunday will see better conditions but I'm totally fed up with this weather.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #151 on: 28/04/2017 at 14:38 »
Went for a look at the levels at lunch time, still brown, with visibility about 18",  I got a couple of new flys off these dodgy geezers I met the other day, cough, cough.
Anyway despite feeling like a course fisherman with a fly rod, I thought I'd give it a go 😄

What a tail it had on it, no wonder it went like stink

The "fly"

Cheers Liam, you saved a blank 😂👍🏻

James Laraway

« Reply #152 on: 28/04/2017 at 15:20 »
 oh no, not a squirmy wormy  :shock

Liam Stephen

« Reply #153 on: 28/04/2017 at 17:48 »
No idea what Liam he means....... Never seen those before in my life!  :roll

Nice fish mate!

:z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #154 on: 28/04/2017 at 21:50 »
Aye aye Liam, looks like yer 'Squirmin' there a wee bit  :oops :oops :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #155 on: 29/04/2017 at 10:27 »
Well its been  fair old week :z10

Mr Ellis came up for a few days to have a go at our browns, So after months in the planning it was the Law of Sod that dictated the weather would play foul :X1

Nothing quite went to plan, the river was in great shape on monday but the relentless snow just when we hoped for a hatch, put pay to anything other than a trip to the pub to dry out.

Tuesday we headed for the Deveron as planned, see the separate Deveron post :z16

Wednesday we had left open to fish somewhere nice, but the Deveron was rising fast and the Don had gone up and come down over night, with the lower river still running in poor condition we headed for the hills to find the clearer water.
The upper river was in much better shape but running at 6-7degrees, so another day of nymphing with hardly a fly to be seen. At least we picked up a couple of fish. Still that nasty northerly wind, but we did see the strange yellow orb, initial thoughts of alien abduction relaxed as the air temp increased  :z5

Thursday was meant to be on the Deveron again, but the snowmelt had it running like Willie Wonka's chocolate river, so with the upper Don starting to do the same, we headed to the lower river and although slightly coloured it was fishable. Again the nasty wind had us working hard, Poor Andrew was starting to feel like we had been beasting him all week, but his loops stayed sharp.

We even had a hatch of uprights to get us excited

One decent fish to get us warmed up, but that was all she wrote....

During the evening in the Pub, the river choose to rise significantly, rendering Friday a total washout on the Don, so the plan was scrapped , Again! and we went in search of fishable water...... (we did find some , but you'll need the Deveron half of the post)

So not the week we had planned, but a great time in fantastic company and the fishing was enjoyed by all, even if the fish spent all week sulking and we had to chuck Nymphs far more than any of us would have liked.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #156 on: 29/04/2017 at 10:38 »
Great stuff Sandy ...... fingers crossed for better weather for Andrew next time!

Cheers
Mike

Pete Winn

« Reply #157 on: 29/04/2017 at 19:39 »
Great day on the river this morning, before the wind got up.  Given the recent high water I decided to get the trout spey rod and the 2" mini intruder streamers out, paired with an OPST 275 gr head. It makes casting streamers really easy on a 5 weight rod. Had 4 fish off, only managing to take a picture of this one. It absolutely nailed the fly on the swing and put up a great fight. A really fat, energetic fish in great condition for this time of year. All my decent trout this year have come to this intruder from Salar flies.

Cheers Pete

Simon Bruce

« Reply #158 on: 29/04/2017 at 22:04 »
Wasn't too sure about going out today with all the weather we have been having lately. But decided to have a go and get to grips with my new(old rod) was a bargain on eBay( brand new g tec for a very cheap price) headed for the upper river as I thought it would be fishable and it was(running at a good level but coloured) had a few fish on the duo in the morning best probably a couple of pounds. By midday there was a sign of a hatch coming on but it never really kicked off as such maybe a 10 minute spell of a few fish rising, I thought I seen something rise out the corner of my eye so had a cast thinking that I might get it with the nymph and then bang it took the Klink quite a few heart stopping moments later I landed my best of the season so far. Don't know the size,weight or anything like that just glad to be in the right place at the right time

Liam Stephen

« Reply #159 on: 29/04/2017 at 22:34 »
Simon there's something about you and stupidly fat fish! Where and what are you feeding them??  :z4 :z7

Cracking fish mate!

:z18

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #160 on: 29/04/2017 at 22:59 »
2 super fat fish lads, been feeding well 👍🏻

Simon Bruce

« Reply #161 on: 29/04/2017 at 23:09 »
As I said right place right time, a lot of the big fish up there eat well and the fishing pressure is very low( nobody fishes there as it's to far too go for many folks apart from me lol  :z4 :z16

Simon

Hamish Young

« Reply #162 on: 29/04/2017 at 23:30 »
Couple of belting fish there  :z18

Simon Bruce

« Reply #163 on: 29/04/2017 at 23:48 »
Here's a couple from earlier on in the season

The last picture is a fish from today on the same beat as you can see the condition of the fish has greatly improved and the fish are feeding well and have plumped up :z18 Simon

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #164 on: 30/04/2017 at 09:22 »
I think I may have seen you the other day up by ally's farm?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com