Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Cumming

Re: River Don 2017
« Reply #90 on: 17/04/2017 at 10:32 »
Here are some of my highlights from the weekend. Sunday being the better day catching several trout both on the nymph and dry.

The best of the weekend fell to the nymph. The power in this fish was amazing, it took off like a torpedo  :shock

A deep solid lump.

and another on the nymph, size 16 olive quill.

Some dry fly action on Sunday afternoon too, caught this cracker on a CDC emerger....

With a mild winter and low water the weeds are going to be a problem this season. Landing fish could be interesting come June.

:z18
Scott C

Liam Stephen

« Reply #91 on: 17/04/2017 at 10:39 »
Scott you are also the man! We already knew that though.  :z4 :z7

Yes weeds will be a massive obstacle come June.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #92 on: 17/04/2017 at 11:09 »
Fair play Scott, in amongst the lumps again, that first one is a beast of a fish!!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #93 on: 17/04/2017 at 12:28 »
Well done Ali, thats a cracker :z16 a pool with a lot of big trout? I'd keep that one quiet, if Liam finds out he'll set up camp :z4

Mate these said pools are called honey holes. Tent was pitched last night.   :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #94 on: 18/04/2017 at 17:51 »
Nice day for it today., especially when the sun warmed things up around lunchtime.

Lots of LDO's hatching from 1130 onwards with the odd sprinkle of MB's

Plenty decent fish rising. Plume tip in a size 14 was the trick.

Best one of the afternoon, didn't want to stick around for his picture :X1

After the relentless wind of last week, it was a nice respite today, hopefully it continues for the next few days. :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #95 on: 18/04/2017 at 17:58 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #96 on: 18/04/2017 at 20:32 »
Great stuff guys

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #97 on: 19/04/2017 at 14:22 »
Hi guys,

I'm getting away from my upper Clyde fishing adventures to come up and fish Kemnay for trout in May (as I couldnt get on Kildrummy which was my first choice). Has anyone got any tips or beat advice for that stretch of the Don? What dry patterns work best for the bigger fish?

Cheers,
Grant.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #98 on: 19/04/2017 at 14:43 »
Hi guys,

I'm getting away from my upper Clyde fishing adventures to come up and fish Kemnay for trout in May (as I couldnt get on Kildrummy which was my first choice). Has anyone got any tips or beat advice for that stretch of the Don? What dry patterns work best for the bigger fish?

Cheers,
Grant.

A bit from Mike on naming specific beats that is posted in this forum. I know it may seem all secret squirrel like, but it is to protect the fish.

"Fishing The Fly has always been based around all things fly fishing in Aberdeenshire. Over the years the forum membership has grown, the discussions are now more diverse and we have members all over the world.

Wild Fishing Waters:

We are fishing in some fantastic locations and naturally want to speak about them :cool:

It is great to speak about our good days on the water and to share a few photos ...... but we will obviously have concerns about naming our favourite river beats and loch locations.

Please use your common sense with this ....... and simply speak about "on the River Deveron near Huntly", "on the Upper/Middle/Lower River Don", or "a loch near Inverness" for example.

If you would like to know more about a given location mentioned in somebody's post, the question can be asked via the PM message system. :wink"

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #99 on: 19/04/2017 at 15:53 »
Apologies-point noted.

Thanks
Grant

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #100 on: 19/04/2017 at 18:11 »
Grant

The flies don't really care about the beats, you will find the same patterns will work wherever you are, provided you are roughly matching the hatch. Taking the time to walk and find the fish is the key to getting the bigger ones.
Not many secret patterns, i mention the ones i use all the time, as do many others and we re-wrote the Don fishing guide this winter to reflect the new patterns we have been using. For any specific advice, then feel free to contact any of us by PM i'm sure we would all help point you in the right direction.  :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #101 on: 19/04/2017 at 18:23 »
Cracking day for it today :z12
Lucky me, i got out on a great beat with Mr B (finally dragged him away from the computer)
Some cracking fish.

Water is fantastically clear at the moment, which makes thing a bit tricky, but is helping the photo's

Scaling down the tippets, is a risk with the fish we chase, but seems to help, although a few tourists about today too, quite happy to pick the plume tip off the top.

The march browns looked particularly big today, and upsizing to a size 10 dry was the job.

The hatch ran right through till 4pm with selected fish still picking off the hatching flies when they appeared.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #102 on: 19/04/2017 at 18:32 »
Great photos Sandy ..... what a cracking day to be on the water, I really needed a day off :z16

Cheers
Mike

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #103 on: 19/04/2017 at 19:03 »
Tough day , covered miles, but rewarded with this bonny fish and a few around the 2lb mark.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #104 on: 20/04/2017 at 07:43 »
Doh! :X1 Stupid me, figured out why the March Browns looked big. They were Large Brook Duns.
I checked some of my other photo's from yesterday, the Forelegs are too wide and they have the purple stripes on the abdomen .

I thought the wings didn't quite have a big enough clear patch in them, so i checked this morning. Pretty sure the fish didn't mind either way and they did seem to be taking the bigger ones even though its early for LBD's

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com