Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2017
« Reply #75 on: 12/04/2017 at 22:06 »
It was a belter Mike thanks! I have other pics but they kept going up side ways. See my  FB post.

:z18

Scott Cumming

« Reply #76 on: 13/04/2017 at 20:19 »
Today was tough going in difficult conditions, we eventually found some sheltered spots and my 11 year old fishing partner soon got into some action. Within 10 minutes of fishing  Lewis got the shock of his life when he hooked into his first ever trophy trout. After a good tussle Lewis managed to bring the fish to the side where a very proud Dad was waiting to scoop the 4lb 2oz cracker into the net

Well done Lewis you played that fish brilliantly, I'm chuffed to bits for you  :X4
See, there is more to life than Fitba and the Xbox  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #77 on: 13/04/2017 at 20:22 »
Awesome stuff, well done Lewis :z18
Brilliant to see you on the other side of the camera, giving the old man a run for his money :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #78 on: 13/04/2017 at 20:38 »
Fantastic .................................. :z14

Liam Stephen

« Reply #79 on: 13/04/2017 at 21:26 »
What a fish Lewis!  :z16

Scott is he free to give lessons sometime soon?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #80 on: 13/04/2017 at 22:44 »
Fantastic stuff guys  :z16

Noel Kelly

« Reply #81 on: 13/04/2017 at 22:55 »
Had to come out of hiding for this. Well done Lewis that's awesome!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #82 on: 14/04/2017 at 09:03 »
Fished after work last night. Started on streamers as there was a cold wind and nowt moving after 20 minutes of watching. Fished for about 10 minutes, but suddenly a few LDO's started to pop their heads out the water. I sprinted back to the car to get the 4 weight and dry flies.

5 minutes later it was finished! lol One fish rose twice and that was it.

Could not be bothered heading back to the car so used the 4 weight with smaller streamers.

Have to say a #4 SLX and a size 4 Woolly Bugger make a sweet combination.  Single spey and a wee tug sent it sailing out.

Packed up at 8 and the car temp gauge said 4 degrees.  No wonder I could not feel my fingers.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #83 on: 14/04/2017 at 17:02 »
Stocker of a fish for anyone to catch 👍🏻 What a way to get hooked on fishing & no doubt a very proud moment for dad

Scott Cumming

« Reply #84 on: 14/04/2017 at 19:17 »
Tough going again today, visited a few beats before finding shelter and fish. The temp increased slightly and the fishing did start to improve in the afternoon.

This was my best of the day, a solid lump in great condition...

Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #85 on: 14/04/2017 at 20:30 »
Nice one Scott :z12

James Craig

« Reply #86 on: 16/04/2017 at 09:58 »
Friday was hard work at times, with brief bright spells and calmer winds.

The morning was freezing and so I spent the morning walking the beat and fishing a PTN through likely runs. I hooked two fish, both of which had a big cross-stream leap and promptly came off.

From 1pm the day improved with a steady hatch of March Browns, although the fish that were rising didn't seem too fussed about those flies that had emerged and were drying off. I fished a DHE over a few steady risers, but think I spooked them all - The downstream breeze making it too difficult for me to get the fly up to them without getting within 30 feet.

The fish looked to key into the emerged flies later on as the wind calmed and a CDC Olive did the trick - I managed to drop another fish but shortly after managed to bring this chap to the net:

13" and about a pound and a half - I was pleased given the dropped fish up 'till that point, but still frustrating as some of those fish would have been a bit bigger. Still - that's my best Don Brownie yet and heading in the right direction.

James

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #87 on: 16/04/2017 at 12:45 »
Dry shoes don't catch?? Well today they did, had a wee mole job to do, didn't take aslong as I thought, so thought I'd nip to the river on the way home.
On the last cast, right in the head of the pool, I hooked into a fish that shot off upstream like a grilse,  after a heart stopping moment when it got under a over hanging tree, I managed to turn it down into the main pool, eventually slipping it into the net..

Caught in the same pool as the good fish I managed last week, just another 15yards upstream, seam to hold a really good head of big troot 😎👍🏻

Liam Stephen

« Reply #88 on: 16/04/2017 at 17:40 »
Ali you are you man! That is one stunning looking fish. Far better looking than my lump from today and it looks pretty close size wise!  :wink

Scott let's have it then buddy!?

Scott Cumming

« Reply #89 on: 16/04/2017 at 23:47 »
Well done Ali, thats a cracker :z16 a pool with a lot of big trout? I'd keep that one quiet, if Liam finds out he'll set up camp :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com