Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ali Mcewan

Re: River Don 2017
« Reply #60 on: 07/04/2017 at 19:16 »
With the weather so fine & a hour to kill I thought it best to nip to the river, be rude not too I guess 😎

Started off well, hooking this

Which turned into this

So I was well chuffed with the first 10 minutes, not long after, another abliging troot was hooked, all hell broke loose, I really thought I had a fish in the 5lb range on,  the old LC was put through its paces, until the net slipped under this

Not the 5lber but certainly in the class of the 4 1/4 I had last week. I guess it was a hen, it sulked like the Mrs for a minute or two before a kick of the tail had it heading back into mid stream

So all ready for the assault on another private beat tomorrow, this time the deveron

Dave Robb

« Reply #61 on: 07/04/2017 at 20:54 »
A Leeda LC, that's a blast from the past.  Haven't seen one of those in years.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #62 on: 07/04/2017 at 21:47 »
I like to think of it as a antique, rather than me being too tight to go all modern 😂 Il get a photo of it on Liam's epics one day

Scott Cumming

« Reply #63 on: 08/04/2017 at 22:02 »
Finally made it out for my first couple of days on the Don this season and its been all action from the off...

Plenty of trout in the 2-3lb range both mornings on the nymph. Switched to the dry fly in the afternoons and had some fantastic sport including my first Stonker of 2017...

A beauty in great condition... Always that bit more rewarding catching  fish this size on the dry :z16

and a few more

time to get creative at the fly tying bench

I see there’s plenty nice trout been caught since open day, well done everyone. The quality of fishing we have on our doorstep is fantastic

:z18
Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #64 on: 08/04/2017 at 22:42 »
Great stuff guys ....... and what a cracking trout Scott, nice one! :z12

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #65 on: 09/04/2017 at 06:45 »
Well worth the wait then Dude  :z14 :z14 :z14

Cracking fish :shock that lucky charm of yours, sure does work  :z4

You are right, its some river where fish like that rise for the dry, the average size is something else as well.
we are all really lucky. :z3

Sandy

PS. superb photo's too :z18

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #66 on: 09/04/2017 at 08:30 »
Great fish Scott,  well captured with rod & camera.
A good sign that so many of these early season fish are in such good nick.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #67 on: 10/04/2017 at 15:57 »
Many fish hooked, three fish landed, happy days once I had slackened off the drag and went into limp wrist mode when playing the fish!  :shock :X2

Two lost on the dry, both fish flat rodding me and then leaping on a tight line. One was very decent indeed  :z8

Other fish fell to tungsten PTNs under a Klink.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #68 on: 10/04/2017 at 17:42 »
Softer rod Rob!  :wink

I met up with Noel yesterday for a catch up and a fish or two. The catch up was good and the fishing was great. We came across a few bulging beasts but we couldn't tempt them. Subsurface nymphing seems to be the only reasonable explanation. Here's my best of the day,  21" and weighed 3.75lb. Taken on a you know what!

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #69 on: 10/04/2017 at 21:03 »
Would have been rude not to have a few casts tonight after work. Fished a beat close to where I live in Aberdeen weekdays and managed to take two of these wee fellas

Liam's teachings have proven their worth on this solo flight   :X2  :z12

'Chucking stones' at fish does work!!  :z4  :z4

Ash  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #70 on: 11/04/2017 at 19:24 »
Tough going in the wind today, but plenty flies.

Mostly LDO's

However later in the afternoon, the LDO's looked rather large, so closer investigation revealed my first spot of the Olive Uprights for the season.

A few March browns as well, but the Uprights are early, so the hatch may last a good few weeks, which could mean some ace DryFly action in the weeks to come. :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #71 on: 11/04/2017 at 19:27 »
Great pics Sandy :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #72 on: 12/04/2017 at 19:12 »
Tough going again in the wind today :z10 But we found some sheltered areas, where you could get a cast out.

LDO's hatching early doors, but the big hatch today was March Browns, the wind was not giving them much chance to get airborne, but only a handful of fish were taking advantage.

The ones who did take an interest were taking every fly that floated over them, that helped no end :z7

Nothing huge for me  :wink but some good fish in nice condition.

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #73 on: 12/04/2017 at 21:20 »
Sandy talked me into joining him. Yesterday was a total write off in the wind so I thought why not. I'm glad I went out. The wind was still a problem but in a few places it was manageable. I fished hard through lots of water, I would say I fished it well also but nothing. 

Bugger it I thought. I was heading upto see Sandy when I decided to jump into a nice looking run. About a quarter of the way up it my dry dipped and I set. Lovely stuff!

22" and a touch over the 4lb mark.

It was seriously a stunning fish!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #74 on: 12/04/2017 at 21:52 »
Awesome trout Liam ..... and a cracking photo too :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com