Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don 2017
« Reply #255 on: 19/07/2017 at 09:37 »
Interesting evening on the river, I found a few good pods of fish, but I think they must have been nymphing on something just under the surface as no matter what size/type of dry I tried I couldn't get any interest at all ...... probably just bad angling :z4

Was anybody else out and did you find the answer :?

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #256 on: 20/07/2017 at 09:04 »
Interesting evening on the river, I found a few good pods of fish, but I think they must have been nymphing on something just under the surface as no matter what size/type of dry I tried I couldn't get any interest at all ...... probably just bad angling :z4

Was anybody else out and did you find the answer :?

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike! I know this problem very well! I've faced it many times this time of year and I know how frustrating it can be.  I didn't find a solution either despite trying every approach I could think of.  :z8

Mike Barrio

« Reply #257 on: 20/07/2017 at 09:59 »
Maybe I should've tried spiders Noel ............. :z8

Noel Kelly

« Reply #258 on: 20/07/2017 at 12:28 »
Spiders didn't work for me in those situations, nothing did! It used become my trigger for a break from the river for a few weeks! I'd love to hear of anyone having a successful approach to the scenario.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #259 on: 21/07/2017 at 22:27 »
It's just not fishing well, hasn't been for a while now.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #260 on: 26/07/2017 at 14:22 »
A few days of cooler temperatures and a bit of rain too ....... things should be looking up on the river :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #261 on: 26/07/2017 at 17:31 »
Hopefully things are changing for the better!

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #262 on: 26/07/2017 at 17:34 »
Hopefully things are changing for the better!

Cool ..... you are still fishing Liam, I thought you'd given up, or simply disappeared :z4  :z4  :z4
Yes, the fish do seem a bit more active again :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Liam Stephen

« Reply #263 on: 01/08/2017 at 12:40 »
The last 2 months could be special. Daytime hatches are back on and the fish are looking up.

I'm actually tying dries again!  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #264 on: 01/08/2017 at 12:44 »
That's a bonnie fish Liam :z16

Dave Robb

« Reply #265 on: 02/08/2017 at 22:40 »
Went out for a couple of hours tonight despite the weather.  Hadn't been on the Don for a good few weeks as I've been hammering rainbows during the warm weather, so I was determined to get out.

First hour wasn't actually too bad, a few fish were moving about.  I was fishing dries, hooked a fish close to the far bank which quickly buried down and it was soon off again.  It felt reasonable.

As darkness approached, the wind and rain really picked up and killed it. 

Hopefully we get decent weather through to end of September.

Dave Robb

« Reply #266 on: 08/08/2017 at 00:03 »
Was out again this morning for a few hours.  The water was absolutely bubbling around lunchtime, fish of all sizes feeding well at the surface.

But could I get any to take any of my offerings?  :mad

Got to the the point I was getting frustrated as I would cover fish, just for them to seemingly move by a few feet.  I became increasingly careless with the presentation as a result.

Loads of fish though which was a good sign. 

That's me been out a few times now in recent days but struggling to tempt anything bar a couple of small fish. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #267 on: 09/08/2017 at 22:01 »
August can be a tricky month on the river, the fish can be feeding on just about anything in my experience and they've so much to choose from ......... possibly the most difficult month for working out the puzzle? :z3

Of all the months in the year, this is possibly the one that requires the most observation?

Am I alone with these thoughts?

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #268 on: 10/08/2017 at 10:51 »
The 'little black beastie' Corn Lice are around in huge numbers in Inverurie just now ...... loads of these are bound to end up on the water too.

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #269 on: 13/08/2017 at 11:03 »
Well after 10 weeks, i finally got my arse in gear and popped down the river last night.
Lovely night to be out.

It was tricky old evening, with the usual suspects proving elusive until much later on, plenty fly changing going on.

A good hatch of Blue winged olives, in amongst the sedges seemed to be the focus of interest.

Although they seemed to get bigger later on and once they started appearing to be about a size 14, then the fish started to feed steady, mind you it was right at the death from about 9.30 onwards. Some good ones too, but the weed is a nightmare for trying to land anything substantial  :z6

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com