Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Cumming

Re: River Don 2017
« Reply #210 on: 16/05/2017 at 07:59 »
Nice fish Liam👍 you get it on the nymph again?

Scott

Liam Stephen

« Reply #211 on: 16/05/2017 at 10:11 »
Cheers mate!  :z16

Yeah I didn't know there was any other way to catch them!?   :z8

:z18

Scott Cumming

« Reply #212 on: 16/05/2017 at 11:08 »
Visits to the river have been few and far between this season. However the fishing has usually been good the times I have been out and I’ve been lucky enough to connect with some nice fish.

There has been some fantastic Grannom hatches lately but the fish are hitting them sub surface. The bigger fish I’ve spotted are surfacing to olive uprights and terrestrials.

This stonker fell to an OU emerger pattern. An absolute cracker, a deep solid fish :z16

and a sturdy set of shoulders too :z16

Caught this one on the nymph between hatches. I thought this fish was a good bit bigger after the initial hook up, its huge tail fairly propelled it through the water, what a scrap!

Back on with the OU emerger, not my biggest but one of my favourites, I loved the huge spots on this one

The distinct markings still clearly visible as it recovered in the shallows, cracking fish!

The next two were taken on gnat imitations.

Cheers
Scott

Liam Stephen

« Reply #213 on: 16/05/2017 at 12:17 »
Awesome fishing  and great pics mate! That tail is massive.  :shock

Duncan McRae

« Reply #214 on: 16/05/2017 at 12:57 »
You guys are taking some magnificent trout,and it's only mid May.

Imagine the size of them come September, after stuffing themselves all summer!!

Duncan

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #215 on: 16/05/2017 at 14:16 »
Absolute belters Scott, I'm a tad jealous!

Ash  :cool:

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #216 on: 16/05/2017 at 17:33 »
Trophy number 20 graced my net this weekend. I was over the moon after a 10 day dry spell I finally got my big fish fix again! :z14

Release Footage of this one going back, a cracking fish  :z18

Ash

Mike Barrio

« Reply #217 on: 16/05/2017 at 21:05 »
I've just played about with some code ...... and I think simple URL links to Vimeo, YouTube videos etc should work now  :z12

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #218 on: 18/05/2017 at 21:12 »
Tough old day today :z6

Perfect weather, lots of flies but fish were hard to find.
Lots of black gnats and hawthorn flies kicking about

Also lots of micro caddis

A few small Dark olives also coming off, but when we eventually found a few feeding fish, they seemed to be taking the black gnats

https://youtu.be/7-zwM8muQNQ

These guys responded well to a size 16 APT, this one was a real scrapper and brought some fun to a difficult day.

So a difficult day, with a few highpoint's some of which had us rather excited, but the only monsters i got pictures of, were the jurassic bugs .

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #219 on: 19/05/2017 at 08:51 »
Ever had an evening where it all goes wrong, but you still learned a lot! Last night was that evening!!

The gusts made presenting flies difficult and a klink and dink team proved problematic, losing me 4 fish before I realised that the klink was wrapped and fishing backwards!

Moved downstream and found another cracking run that had "STREAMER" written all over it. I did not disappoint it and on went a heavy cone head wooly bugger. Two really good fish hooked, two really good fish dropped!

However, on the plus side, I found some areas that I have walked past a few times and thought nothing of them, but this time I saw some good fish feeding. I also saw a few salmon in areas that I would never have thought they would sit, and it means some exciting fishing coming up :)

Duncan McRae

« Reply #220 on: 19/05/2017 at 13:56 »
Ever had an evening where it all goes wrong, but you still learned a lot! Last night was that evening!!

The gusts made presenting flies difficult and a klink and dink team proved problematic, losing me 4 fish before I realised that the klink was wrapped and fishing backwards!

Moved downstream and found another cracking run that had "STREAMER" written all over it. I did not disappoint it and on went a heavy cone head wooly bugger. Two really good fish hooked, two really good fish dropped!

However, on the plus side, I found some areas that I have walked past a few times and thought nothing of them, but this time I saw some good fish feeding. I also saw a few salmon in areas that I would never have thought they would sit, and it means some exciting fishing coming up :)

Good to hear that there are some salmon showing.I don't think i've seen one this season.
It's also  getting very close to all night sessions for sea trout which can be exciting in the extreme.

Duncan

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #221 on: 19/05/2017 at 19:16 »
Hi,

Had a great day yesterday on the dry fly.  Just visiting the river-had a couple around 1.5lbs and this fatty that gave me a bit of a runaround.

Today-not so good!

Grant

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #222 on: 21/05/2017 at 21:16 »
My first day out this week continued my run of losing good fish, this one was the fish of my season, hooked under the rod tip in a wee pot of a long set of Rapids, after its initial jump it took across the rapid & round a boulder, my 8'6" just couldn't lift the line high enough #ping 😢 I know where you live now boyo 😉
Next pool produced this wee fish with funny spot pattern, didn't make up for the heart ache though 😂

My I phone effort at these fashionable but awkward 1/2 & 1/2 photos 😂🙈 (see the bottom photo🤔)

Today I had a few hours after the rain yesterday,  not much happening on top, but the 2nd pool gave up this one

Again I fished a wee run i usually wander past, hooked this on the crease & what a fight for a 17" fish, mainly because of the current, but landed it about 40 yds down stream, what a gut it had on it

Back into the same spot & hooked its brother, I decided to try & bully it into the net, missed my first attempt & the klink caught on my cuff & ping went the tippet 😤

Anyway tomorrow's another day on another (free) beat 😂 It's all who you know in this game ..... 😉
I'm sure it will produce a 🏆 Or 2

Dave Robb

« Reply #223 on: 21/05/2017 at 21:48 »
Nice fish indeed.

I went out to Parkhill for a couple of hours late afternoon but stupidly went on the north bank and ended having the wind blowing into me once I left the sheltered area. 

Saw a couple of fish sipping and the ripples suggested these were lumps of fish, but too far away from me and in areas that were just too deep to try and wade. 

I ended up getting frustrated and left early.  Think I need to change my tactics, I'm a bit of a stickler for fishing down and across which just doesn't  seem to work in a lot of these very slow moving areas.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #224 on: 22/05/2017 at 13:06 »
Outstanding stuff guys, fantastic fish  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com