Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

A Milestone is reached
« on: 03/02/2017 at 16:43 »
Today A Milestone is reached, I finished Epic Number 50.
I did this one My way. :z12

Probably the last of the 10 376's in Olive that i have been keeping for an occasion. So i did it the way i like them with transparent wraps, olive detail and extra select buckeye burl. I did all my own blueing and a Struble Lt amber agate adds a touch of class.

Seems a short journey from our first Prototype doesn't it Mr B.  I love building the Epic rods they are Fun and exciting as well as fantastic fishing machines. I am a big believer in people having a go at making their own rods and i think anyone can achieve this kind of result with one of Carls Kits and some patience. If you can tie flies, you can build a rod, and catching a fish on your own rod with your own fly is a pretty cool feeling.

Give it a go, you will have a lot of fun and trust me that first fish will feel like a major achievement.

Hope you don't mind me sharing, but its quite exciting and a lot of you have been on the journey with me :z18

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: A Milestone is reached
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2017 at 16:54 »
Nice one Sandy :z16

Awesome build, I really like the way you've put that one together :cool:

Great to see how this whole thing has evolved from the fun that we had with the first one ...... and that so many people are enjoying them! :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2017 at 17:48 »
Nice one Sandy.

I've seen something similar to that somewhere.

Oh that's right it is in my garage and even though Steven who likes to cast pokers doesn't like it, I love it on small burns where it is meant to be.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 04/02/2017 at 12:00 »
Nice going Sandy. Always loved your build quality.  :z16
I suppose I will have to try one of these Epics this year. I have been saying that I will for so long now that I really have to get round to actually doing it.

Euan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 04/02/2017 at 14:59 »
Just the way I like em Sandy!  :z16

I love seriously love my collection and haven't really used anything else since I first tried my 376.

Congrats on reaching the milestone and what better way to commemorate it!

:z18

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #5 on: 05/02/2017 at 19:31 »
Yum yum, come to Daddy....

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 20/02/2017 at 13:01 »
That looks fantastic and I especially like the colour, must give one a bash next time wee 'hook up' on a river near me  :wink

Ross Errington

« Reply #7 on: 09/05/2017 at 12:42 »
Hi Sandy, not sure which number this rod is......
Had a wonderful day last week with it on the Derbyshire Wye.  This brownie took an emerger, perfectly placed in the far current by Sandy's rod and Mike's reel/line.
Our guide for the day, Steve Yeomans of Midlands Fly Fishing is also a fan of Mike's lines - he showed me his reels with a GT90 and a Smallstream

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 09/05/2017 at 12:58 »
Great stuff Ross :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 09/05/2017 at 13:15 »
Cool. :z12

Great to hear you still loving the rod, not much better for Brownies :z16
FYI yours is 162, which is number 32 on my Epic Glass list.

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 11/05/2017 at 19:21 »
Nice going Sandy. Always loved your build quality.  :z16
I suppose I will have to try one of these Epics this year. I have been saying that I will for so long now that I really have to get round to actually doing it.

Euan

Euan,

if you are nice to me I will bring a couple of these with me when I am back from the US and we get out for a cast together. You will love them.

Eddie. :z18

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 11/05/2017 at 20:01 »
Euan,

if you are nice to me I will bring a couple of these with me when I am back from the US and we get out for a cast together. You will love them.

I was planning to ask for another shot of one of yours the day but couldn't get hold of you in time. Nevermind the wee peregrine handled the unexpected tourist just fine  :z16

I did however take your car but thats a tad less important   :wink

Steven

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 12/05/2017 at 11:51 »
Euan,

Sounds good to me. Fished Rothiemurcus yesterday and I started thinking about getting an Epic #6 for exactly that type of fishery as the flat calm with trout taking emergers 3" down needed something more subtle than I had with me.
See you when you get back. I will probably have to come to you as your lad will have stolen your car again..... :z4 :z4 :z4

Euan

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #13 on: 12/05/2017 at 13:57 »
I will probably have to come to you as your lad will have stolen your car again..... :z4 :z4 :z4

Euan

It's alright he's got two. Though if he's taking the landy he'll need a fortnight's notice  :z7

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com