Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Dee 2017
« on: 01/02/2017 at 14:49 »
Alexander Armstrong opens the Dee for 2017 :cool:

[facebook]https://www.facebook.com/TheRiverDee/photos/a.535240809930678.1073741828.533416723446420/1195700563884696/?type=3&theater[/facebook]

Rob Brownfield

Re: River Dee 2017
« Reply #1 on: 06/02/2017 at 13:01 »
Fished Sluie on Saturday...oh my!

River was up at 9am, with the odd branch coming down. By lunchtime the wind was making fishing impossible, so I headed home for a nap. Came back at 3pm to be met with the river lapping the top of the banks and debris coming down in rafts.

Fished for a total of about 5 hours, no pulls, no signs of fish at all. Other chap on the beat apparently had a pull from the top pool (known high water spot), and that was it.

Despite the horrible wind and driving rain in the morning,  it was an enjoyable day chucking Skagits and big flies into the wind!

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #2 on: 09/06/2017 at 09:10 »
Was invited out to fish Balmoral yesterday, never saw a fish all day, river was in good order, weather was rather damp for the best part of the day.
But had a osprey catch a trout 60 yards away in the boat pool then later in the day watched a stag swim the pool at crathie bothie, so the day wasn't wasted I guess..
As far as highland estates go, it takes some beating, a real pleasure to spend the day on, even in awful weather 👍🏻

(I'd like to nymph these pots in low water)

Not a bad holiday home

Oh if you ever get to fish it, don't forget your wading stick 🙈😂

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2017 at 21:25 »
Another beat, another blank 😂🙈
But again, a really nice beat to have the pleasure of fishing

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 28/08/2017 at 08:18 »
Fished Sluie on Friday and had a great day, but neither of us touched a fish (well, I had two Parr!).

Used everything in the box but with no joy, despite a fair few fish holding in The Hut Pool and Middle Jetty. Grilse, Sea Trout and one or two big fish all splashed and jumped the whole day, but they just were not having it.

My fishing buddy was amazed to look down at his feet only to see a salmon of about 15lb sheltering from the current in the lee of his legs! Despite spending a lot of time in France catching Carp to over 50lbs, he said a day after salmon was the most exciting and frustrating fishing trips ever. Already planning a return.

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #5 on: 29/08/2017 at 10:49 »
I was just up water from Sluie on Friday and also found it hard going. The conditions were great a nice peaty stain in the water and plenty fish in the pools in fact stuffed with fish would be a better description. My mate managed a fresh grilse early on but i had to wait for some evening action 10 hours nothing  not even a offer then a tiny scrawny grilse.  a on/off. And a half decent fish just  starting to  colour up.  So a good  half a hour then nothing again  :z8 :z8.

There must be folk packing up at the end off the day completely  bewildered how they have blanked at the minute the Dee has plenty fish but catching one is hard going  ??? ???

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 29/08/2017 at 13:11 »
Unfortunately we had to leave at 6;30 for a dinner reservation. Richard did tell us to come back later and fish into the gloom, but the food and company was too good to go fishing!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com