Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Walking Wellingtons
« on: 26/01/2017 at 21:09 »
I am looking for  wellies with a decent firm sole suitable for walking,the ones I have seen have soles so thin that you can feel every grain of sand, easgach 1

Kerry Jordan

Re: Walking Wellingtons
« Reply #1 on: 27/01/2017 at 08:08 »
I find my current Aigle boots with the thick red lining very comfortable on my daily dog walk, as were  the previous Le Chameau. Trouble is they are expensive although they last for years. One recurrent problem is that whatever socks I wear they tend to rotate or slip down my foot. This happens whether I tuck my trousers in the sock or not.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 27/01/2017 at 08:47 »
Aigle or Le Chameau. The choice of keepers up and down the country.

Having said that, if you are doing lots of walking, I would forget wellies and buy proper hunting/shooting boots such as the Le Chameau Condors or Harkila Elks, both of which are fully waterproof walking boots with an extra high top.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=owiLWMG4IpCCaLjfltAC&gws_rd=ssl#tbm=shop&q=hunting+and+shooting+boots

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2017 at 13:07 »
I have a good pair of walking boots , no good for boat fishing, le chameau and Aigle are way beyond my national pension, how ever nice they may be, I just wondered if some one here had had a pair of decent wellies maybe in the £30/£50 range I have been warned off the Barbours,  :shock easgach 1

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #4 on: 28/01/2017 at 00:29 »
Maybe something along these lines, £40 at GAC.  https://www.fishingmegastore.com/wychwood-neoprene-34-boots~chap_6502.html

Dave Robb

« Reply #5 on: 28/01/2017 at 03:56 »
Decent wellies are expensive, not convinced you will get anything good for £40 I'm afraid.

I've got a pair of the Harkilla Forester 5mm neoprene and they are rediculously comfortable, as well as very cosy in the winter.  Great soles as well.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p115040-harkila-forester-17-inch-zip-5mm-h-vent-wellingtons-dark-olive-32-01-002-71/#.WIwVd8vfWf0

They are pricey though.

Cheapest boots I've seen that I've thought are okay would be a pair of Muck Boots, but even they are £75 in the sale.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a pair of £10 wellies as well mainly for in the garden etc but they are thin  as anything, uncomfortable and I wouldn't fancy putting them under much strain.  Just not seen any better boots without taking a hefty jump in price.

http://www.qualitywellies.co.uk/muck-boots-c6/muck-boots-arctic-sport-neoprene-wellington-boot-in-moss-p296?gclid=CKHFpO7449ECFdU_GwodDBwH_g

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 28/01/2017 at 12:44 »
Thanks Guys , I have been making a comprehensive study of wellies, Amazon does most of the types mentioned and you can see the customer reviews on them, muck boots do more than one type and some of them don't get a good report, also some of the More expensive ones (Barbours) get a poor report, I wouldn't by wychwood again I had a pair of their waders , these split on the uppers with in weeks of buying, and wychwood wouldn't honour the fact, it's a mine field out there  :oops easgach1 

Dave Mundie

« Reply #7 on: 28/01/2017 at 15:24 »
Don't know if these are any good might be worth a look
https://www.aldi.co.uk/neoprene-boots/p/073735107979800

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 28/01/2017 at 15:47 »
cheers dave . they are sold out, looks like they were very good, my nearest aldi is 75miles away, easgach 1

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 28/01/2017 at 21:36 »
When I had muck boots I would walk for miles in them, pricey but sooo good

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 28/01/2017 at 21:39 »
I have hunter bamboo carbons at the mo, but miss my muck boots ...

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 30/01/2017 at 08:36 »
I have Muck Boots and have had for some 6 years. I think I paid £70 for them and believe it or not, I actually wear them ion the house sometimes as the kitchen floor is cold and they are easy to slip on and off. (I don't have slippers lol..they are for old men ;) )

Terry Coging

« Reply #12 on: 30/01/2017 at 10:37 »
I use Solognac Inverness 500. These are similar to Aigle but less than half the price. They are VERY comfortable and warm. Great soles for walking. The only prob I have is that the zipped sides and the rear buckle are snags for fly line in windy conditions or in a boat. There is an unzipped version - the Solognac Inverness 300 costing  45 Euros at Decathlon. Don't know the availability in the UK though.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #13 on: 01/02/2017 at 15:03 »
I use Solognac Inverness 500. These are similar to Aigle but less than half the price. They are VERY comfortable and warm. Great soles for walking. The only prob I have is that the zipped sides and the rear buckle are snags for fly line in windy conditions or in a boat. There is an unzipped version - the Solognac Inverness 300 costing  45 Euros at Decathlon. Don't know the availability in the UK though.
tried the slightly cheaper ones they are very narrow at the top, wouldn't fit my short fat Hairies, but nice wellies for those on a diet they seem well made ,easgach 1

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 12/02/2017 at 18:47 »
Have you had a look at grub boots?

I find them more comfortable to walk in than the muck boots they replaced and have so far lasted twice as long and aren't showing any sign of giving in yet.

I think I paid circa £60 for mine.

Cheers,

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com