Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Daniel Marlley

Lapland trip
« on: 23/01/2017 at 20:21 »
I'm going with my family to Lapland, mostly for the kids to see santa but I'm planning to do also some ice fishing.  We will fly to http://www.lapland-airport.com/rovaniemi.php  airport, as I checked there are many lakes and rivers in the area. Anyone knows what kind of gear should I take with me there ? At this point I know for sure that I don't have to take my rods with me, because everything is frozen ... Anyone had any ice fishing experience before ?

Peter Davidson

Re: Lapland trip
« Reply #1 on: 23/01/2017 at 20:57 »
I am a newcomer to fishing but I am a grizzly old mountain skier who has spent time in that area. No matter what you take, make sure you have at least five layers of clothing, starting with good quality thermals, three thin but warm layers, a fleece or down layer and a bombproof wind layer with very good hood and face protection. Weather in February/March can be absolutely stunning, blue skies, horizons that go on forever and cold air that really does freeze your lungs. Scottish storms can be fierce in winter but out in the higher latitude they can really be frightening - be prepared. I have loved my arctic skiing trips and hope you have as good memories with your fishing trips. In the 80's there used to be a big Soumi State store which stocked every sort of winter fishing tool. Take some whisky - the locals love it even more than they love the Scots. - And as one reindeer herder once told me, for a country that has fought both with and against most of the European countries - that is quite an honour.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 24/01/2017 at 09:22 »
A good friend of mine from Sweden works for Mustard and tests for Rapala. She is using specific Ice Jigs for taking Perch, Pike and even Burbot. She has had some cracking fish this last few weeks. As far as I am aware, she is fishing in Finland just now so I guess very similar fishing.

This sort of thing (there is a video of it in action.
http://www.rapala.com/rapala/lures/jigging-series/jigging-rapandreg/Jigging+Rap.html
http://www.rapala.com/rapala/lures/shad-rap-series/jigging-shad-rapandreg/Jigging+Shad+Rap.html

Another method I have seen her use for Pike is a simple deadbait left on the bottom.

Well worth looking at youtube and doing a search on Ice Fishing. Loads of videos etc.

Good luck!

Daniel Marlley

« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2017 at 08:54 »
I'm going with my family to Lapland, mostly for the kids to see santa but I'm planning to do also some ice fishing.  We will fly to Rovaniemi  airport, as I checked there are many lakes and rivers in the area. Anyone knows what kind of gear should I take with me there ? At this point I know for sure that I don't have to take my rods with me, because everything is frozen ... Anyone had any ice fishing experience before ?

Thanks for your advice, I spoke with someone there and the most important thing is to rent or buy a drill otherwise I have to use holes that other people made. So I bet that the scotch will do the trick for the drill.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com