Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Don Electrickery
« on: 16/11/2007 at 19:18 »
Hi folks

Interesting piece in the P&J the other day about the turbine that John Riley has set up in the old generating station in Strathdon at Semeil Farm :cool:

There had been one there historically and he has installed a new "corkscrew" type turbine in the same location. I believe it gets switched on this week? I'd love to see it working!

It is not in the Don by the way, I think it works on a kind of lade system, so it shouldn't upset the path of migratory fish.

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don Electrickery
« Reply #1 on: 16/11/2007 at 19:54 »
Have been hunting through my stock pics and from what I could work out, I think the sluice or lade must work from somewhere around Newe Weir where the fishery board catch salmon for the River Don Hatchery?

The photo below shows what I think is the old sluice for the generator system???

Was there not a generator building to the right of this photo? I think so?

But, anyway, this is the picture that I have in my mind of where the new "screw" generator has been set up ...... I could be wrong :roll

Best wishes
Mike

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #2 on: 16/11/2007 at 21:04 »
There is also a small hydro generator on a mill lade off Castle Forbes beat 2, just above the footbridge.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 16/11/2007 at 21:26 »
That's right, I remember seeing that a few years ago ....... the one below the high footbridge downstream from the castle?

Cheers
Mike

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 16/11/2007 at 23:32 »
Hi Mike,
            I did not realise that you were so old !  :z4
Yes, unless we are mistaken , you are right about the building.  . 
However , I think that the corkscrew is just upstream of the pic ?

I agree that it will be interesting to hear if it works .

Paul.

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don Electrickery New
« Reply #5 on: 17/11/2007 at 00:01 »
Must confess that I'm not keen on major dams and the effect that these can have on our rivers, but these smaller lade systems can apparently provide enough power for a village, so it could hopefully work well.

Best wishes
Mike

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 17/11/2007 at 00:52 »
Mike ,
         I know. I share your concerns  , let me say .
 Paul.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 17/11/2007 at 19:16 »
Speaking about lades, there is or was one on the North Esk, it runs from the Morphie Dykes to the bridge at kinaber , we used to electro fish it to get the Salmon  who had taken a wrong turn back into the river. The amount of Salmon we used to put back in the river was unbelievable.

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com