Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Pike / perch flies
« on: 21/12/2016 at 15:00 »
thought i should try and learn to upload photos to the forum so thought i would start with some flies I tied up the other night

James Laraway

Re: Pike / perch flies
« Reply #1 on: 21/12/2016 at 15:02 »
well that worked ! I have fished zonkers for salmon but have lots of rabbit hair so thought i would try tying some 'bunny leeches'

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 23/12/2016 at 08:40 »
I prefer tube flies these days. No issues with hooks rusting or getting blunted on rocks and having to be thrown away :)

Although I have loads of pike flies with rabbit, they rarely get used due to the weight when wet. since finding Big Fly Fibre or EP/Jerkbaitmania fibres, flies have become east to cast no matter what size they are :)

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 23/12/2016 at 09:49 »
they are only 'wee' - up to 10 cms long so nothing 'too hefty'

i have lots of funky fibre , slinky fibre, DNA etc so the bigger flies.

one thing i have yet to master is getting the nice 'tear drop shape' of the pike flies like your perch imitation. Any tips ?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 05/01/2017 at 08:56 »
they are only 'wee' - up to 10 cms long so nothing 'too hefty'

i have lots of funky fibre , slinky fibre, DNA etc so the bigger flies.

one thing i have yet to master is getting the nice 'tear drop shape' of the pike flies like your perch imitation. Any tips ?

Basically, you need to build a bit of a foundation under the fibres. This can be done by reverse tying bucktail, or by using a hi and lo tie method but doubling the material back on itself.

Couple of videos to watch that will help, first is the bucktail method, second, the hi tie, which was used for my Perch....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com