Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Juhani Repo

RiverBug Tube Fly -method? New
« on: 17/12/2016 at 08:30 »
Hello all Fly tiers!
I have develop a new way to make tube flies and it would be Super interesting to hear comments about this pattern?  And could it have any use in U.K. Waters?
IŽd appreciate all comments that jump into Your mind! :)

Here's a link to how it basically works:

Cheers,

-Juhani

Hamish Young

Re: RiverBug Tube Fly -method?
« Reply #1 on: 17/12/2016 at 09:15 »
Hmmmm - not for me but an interesting idea. Don't really see any great advantage for beginners to be honest, but I am on my first cup of coffee this morning and maybe not fully 'there' yet  :X2

Magnus Angus

« Reply #2 on: 17/12/2016 at 17:13 »
Hamish

You're being a bit hard - drink more coffee. That's neat and simple.

Magnus

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2016 at 18:33 »
the guy's first post on this forum and it's about promoting his product. no thanks...

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 18/12/2016 at 10:55 »
Hamish

You're being a bit hard - drink more coffee. That's neat and simple.

Magnus

This morning - third cup of coffee - I have watched the video again and considered my original post.

Whilst I am with Magnus, it is neat and simple no argument there, I'm not sold on the advantages to the beginner.
I expect there are a number of styles of RiverBug 'ring' (and there would need to be as the wing spread as appears in the video isn't what I am looking for in a tube fly) for me part of the pleasure of fly tying now (and when I was beginning) was learning to learn how to manipulate fur, feathers and synthetics to do what I wanted.

So whilst it's not for me it will suit other tiers and it is a nice idea.
There you go Magnus, two additional cups of coffee in the morning and I become almost pleasant  :z7

H :cool:

Magnus Angus

« Reply #5 on: 18/12/2016 at 19:20 »
Hi Hamish

I look at the little video and see a simplified and 'pared back' version of some trends in modern Nordic/Scandinavian, with a touch of older tying.

The plastic tube and body tying could be from a recent Frodin tying. As could the use of superglue. That bead looks like the front of a Loop Bottle tube.  The finished fly will be lighter and none of the issues about fitting tube and hooks to the bottle. However, dressing on the bead can be just like tying on a tube. And to demo how, he uses two bucktail colours - imagine using a mix of orange and yellow with black over and call it a wullie gunn ? He demonstrates trimming bucktail using a blade - an excellent technique I use on metal tubes, be very careful doing that on plastic. Oh and you have to know how to stack bucktail, how to spin it around the fly - plenty of technique and material knowledge needed :)

Personally, I'd demo a 'handed' fly, tied with a soft layered wing, and run a hackle in that bead - fly done! (Just like I tied on bottle tubes.)

Meanwhile, having placed his little advert I doubt we'll ever hear from or of Juhani again :)

Magnus

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 18/12/2016 at 20:56 »
Meanwhile, having placed his little advert I doubt we'll ever hear from or of Juhani again :)

Now that's the truth  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com