Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Polinar Dam
« on: 13/12/2016 at 10:51 »
The Dam looks fairly pathetic now a days but never used to be like that when i was a bairn.
Was full a some fairly big broonies, how big well i used to fish it a lot we Duncan and other regulars was BM senior and BM junior Bob junior was always rambling on about the polinar monster he and Bob senior had hooked and lost i was a non believer how ever one night i was fishing down beside the telecom pol  Bob junior was up near the neck oh the dam which as you can see now is completely over grown.
 any way Bob shouted ave hooked the monster and his line shot past me the old intrepid gear fly screeching and the old glass rod bent double  then a rather huge broonie come flying out oh the water once twice and gone  ??? ??? ???

A think Bob seniors best was 4lb down in the right hand corner, i never managed a proper big un sadly  ??? ???

Mike Barrio

Re: Polinar Dam
« Reply #1 on: 13/12/2016 at 11:04 »
Great stuff :z16

« Reply #2 on: 13/12/2016 at 11:50 »
Sadly the trout seemed to get wiped out in the early 80s can only put it down to something off the farmers parks.  :z8 :z8
shame it was a great place for a Sunday night when a wiz skint after the weekend.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2016 at 14:00 »
I had never seen this before so went onto google street view. Intrigued to see a sign "Cast with Care" on the pylon. Presumably people still fish here?

« Reply #4 on: 15/12/2016 at 09:47 »
You had to fish it from the road side so your back cast was across the road, Not much cars about  when i fished it.

Am not sure the fish could survive now as the burn feeding the dam looks blocked off they must have spawned in it or near the neck of the dam all over grown now  :cry :cry,

Kev Danby

« Reply #5 on: 15/12/2016 at 12:08 »
I've seen dimples on the surface when driving past so either fish or gas. A couple of years ago there were two guys fishing on it with what looked like spinning rods or worming.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 15/12/2016 at 12:10 »

Kev Danby

« Reply #7 on: 15/12/2016 at 12:13 »
Doh can't spell and after recent excursion can't fish.  :z8

Neill Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 29/12/2016 at 15:15 »
had  a  few  big  trouts  there  40 plus  years  ago.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com