Don't take your 'How to' book to the river ........................ :z4

Mike Barrio

Re: How not to learn fly fishing? New
« Reply #1 on: 22/11/2016 at 15:03 »
That's better ...... Lee Wulff "Autumn silver" :cool:

Derek Roxborough

Re: How not to learn fly fishing?
« Reply #2 on: 22/11/2016 at 15:40 »
Nice Vids Mike had good laugh at the first one ,Joan Wulff is a good caster, very controlled, easgach 1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2016 at 21:18 »
Yes, I thought the first one was quite funny :z4

I enjoyed the second one too. I wonder what reaction we might get if we turned up on a Scottish salmon beat with a short single handed rod nowadays?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 23/11/2016 at 08:38 »
When Joan first lifts into a salmon (and the reel over runs..ooops) did anyone notice the 3 black marks on the lone, just above her hand? Any ideas that they are for?

As for the idea of a short single handed rod for salmon, Jim Somers used to have a fair few cane blanks in the shop that were just such rods, all destined for the US and the Wulffs. The one I remember most was 6'6" swelled butt for a 7 weight. That had the Lee Wulff "signature" on it but I forget the name of it.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 23/11/2016 at 09:15 »
My favourite notion was the 5'10" one piece rod they made   :z12

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 23/11/2016 at 09:58 »
When Joan first lifts into a salmon (and the reel over runs..ooops) did anyone notice the 3 black marks on the lone, just above her hand? Any ideas that they are for?
head length.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 23/11/2016 at 14:07 »
head length.

I did think that..but its a few feet onto the reel (I guess it could be a posed "hit").

Its the fact it was three marks, not just one to suffice a head length.

Mike Thornton

« Reply #8 on: 23/11/2016 at 15:29 »
Three or more black (or some other colour) marks, spaced at about one inch intervals along 6 to 9 inches of your running line, is a commonly recognized method of marking  your preferred loading point.   A sequence of marks is far easier to see than a single mark.
Just put them on with a marker pen.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 23/11/2016 at 18:14 »
(I guess it could be a posed "hit").
looked pretty obvious to me. it's not like the cameraman would sit there, focussed on her all day waiting for an eventual strike.  :z4
besides, this wasn't digital but film. very expensive film & development even if it's most probably 8mm.

Its the fact it was three marks, not just one to suffice a head length.
what redfish said  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com