That is incredible, time to treat yourself Mike  :X2

Ash we can go halfs?!  :z14

:z18

Sure can buddy, it's as much mine as it is yours  :z12  :z4

Ash

Mike Barrio

Re: Good Morning ...........
« Reply #31 on: 05/04/2017 at 23:56 »
I ran a Jimny for a while, not long after they were launched ...... loved them :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 06/04/2017 at 12:07 »
So what is the best small and fun go anywhere 4X4 nowadays? ....... I've been tempted by the Jimny and the Panda Cross.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 06/04/2017 at 12:27 »
Define "go anywhere" :)

We looked at the Panda and the bigger 500x 4 x 4, which is built on exactly the same platform as the Jeep Renegade, just without the ground clearance, and where impressed. However, the "go anywhere" tag would stop on rutted tracks, slippy wet grass and so on. Not because of the capability, but because of road tyres and ground clearance.

The Dacia Duster 4x4 is probably in contention though. Its a Nissan 4x4 system built on a Renault chassis. More ground clearance, more suitable tyres as standard, cheap to buy and therefore you are more likely to have "fun" in the mud as the repair bills are going to be low.

We also looked at the Suzuki Vitara, which is no longer a "small" vehicle and to tell the truth, it felt far to flimsy to risk taking down a farm track. Not exactly cheap once you start to get the likes of Hill Decent etc.

The Jimny is still basically a Landy (SJ) underneath, and it shows with its offroad capability.  At £15k brand new for the top spec, it has to be a contender. However, in the words of the Top Gear Review, "The Suzuki Jimny is a tiny, cheap and rival-free hardcore off-roader. Does what it does quite brilliantly. Does everything else appallingly."

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 06/04/2017 at 12:33 »
Go anywhere ...... that another hardcore 4X4 can go :wink

I think the Jimny is winning so far :z12 but the Panda Cross isn't far behind.

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #35 on: 06/04/2017 at 13:14 »

I'm at Liam's frequently Mike, next time I'm around feel free to have a look and "test" drive it if you so wish  :z18

He's had his fair share of test drives so you should too  :z7

Ash

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #36 on: 06/04/2017 at 14:35 »

Then it really is only the Jimny :) or a Series 3 SWB Landy :) :)

The only other "small" one I can think of that does well offroad is the SWB Mitsubishi Shogan.  But that's £30k plus! Our neighbour (farmer George) has two farm vehicles, and he has always had, that's a SWB Shogun for general every day farm work and a Rangerover.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #37 on: 06/04/2017 at 22:17 »
Mike,

If you're looking at a newish motor then the jimmy gets my vote too!

Cheap to run, goes anywhere (within reason) and easy to fix.

Here's my old Sj which was quite capable.

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #38 on: 07/04/2017 at 23:33 »
Mike,

If you're looking at a newish motor then the jimmy gets my vote too!

Cheap to run, goes anywhere (within reason) and easy to fix.

Here's my old Sj which was quite capable.

Steven,

How easy was it to fit those roof lights?

Ash

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #39 on: 08/04/2017 at 01:02 »
Ash,

They were simple as being the agricultural engineering type that I am, they were bolted through the roof and sealed with tigerseal 😂

This was a few years back if I were to be fitting lights nowadays I'd be heading down the led lightbar route. Infact I'm planning to fit some to my truck as soon as I have more dispensable income.

Mike,

I did forget to mention that swb's on stilts can go wrong rather quickly. My old boy called my Sj a "cow-py jeep" with good reason....

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #40 on: 12/04/2017 at 08:06 »
I did forget to mention that swb's on stilts can go wrong rather quickly. My old boy called my Sj a "cow-py jeep" with good reason....

A friend of mine had an off road centre/school near Inverbervie, and had a couple of SJs for folk to hire.  I can remember rolling them back onto their wheels more than once :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #41 on: 12/04/2017 at 09:50 »
Hi guys :cool:

I can remember what the SJ was like, I've driven a few, unbeatable in the snow though.

I'm liking my Freelander, it has done everything that I need it to do so far.

Cheers
Mike

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #42 on: 12/04/2017 at 12:28 »
A friend of mine had an off road centre/school near Inverbervie, and had a couple of SJs for folk to hire.  I can remember rolling them back onto their wheels more than once :)

You referring to Steve (I think) at Nortrak? If so its highly likely that we crossed paths down there at some point.  I'd have been the one getting repeatedly shouted at for driving too quickly in a soft top vitara  :z4

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #43 on: 12/04/2017 at 14:29 »
You referring to Steve (I think) at Nortrak? If so its highly likely that we crossed paths down there at some point.  I'd have been the one getting repeatedly shouted at for driving too quickly in a soft top vitara  :z4

Steven.

Correct! I was either in a Masai Red 110 V8 CSW, sat in the bomb hole with my bonnet up waiting for things to dry out, or in a green 90 hard top with an orange recovery strap permanently attached and up over the bonnet.

Used to go down with big Huey and Rod.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #44 on: 12/04/2017 at 15:20 »
Steven, that photo of your sj, is that outside Ev's house? Looks familiar

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com