Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kevin Ryan

Intermediate sink tip for emerging nymphs
« on: 13/11/2016 at 21:56 »
Greetings!  I am a new visitor to this interesting site and forum.  I have been fly  fishing  for quite a while, but have just recently found the site and am considering purchasing my first Barrio line.  I am wondering if it should be the intermediate sink tip.  I would like your comments about this line for fishing emerging nymphs (midges, mayflies, et al.) near the surface, in the upper two feet or so.  I know there are a number of techniques, such as a washing line or a suspended nymph, but I am thinking of slow retrieves and a tip that sinks slow enough  to stay near the surface for 30 seconds or more.  I would like to be able to pick up line and re-cast without retrieving, if a fish shows near me at another location.  Do you think the Barrio sink tip would  serve.  I will be fishing out of a pontoon boat in the Far West of Washington State, so your secrets are safe with me.
In the late fall and winter, I watch trout in local lakes cruising about, casually sipping a midge here and there at random and unpredictably.  I could fish static, but I like to move about a bit in the chilly air, too, make slow, twitchy retrieves, but keep the fly near the surface.
Thanks for any of your constructive suggestions.
Kevin 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com