Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Tummel
« on: 08/11/2016 at 13:02 »
Liam had the man flu on Sunday so instead of heading to the Clyde decided that to have another crack at the Tummel as its an hour or so closer to Peterhead.  Turned out to be a good move as had a great day.   The Tummel is a big beast or a river but was running pretty low compared to when I was there a couple weeks ago.   I have fished it maybe 10 times mainly as a 2nd choice backup as it is one of the closest places with grayling and as a bonus it never colours up as its fed from the bottom of a dam, It is really growing on me especially the last couple outings.
 I had a good start with the first fish coming within 10 mins of starting unfortunately it was a trout.   I had  5 or 6 out of season brownies for the day then I spoke  to a guy that told me about a couple of likely spots for grayling  and we swapped a couple flies.  Well next pool I tried with his pink shrimp on the middle dropper I got my first proper grayling of the year (I had a 3inch one at Abington a few weeks back).  2 casts afterwards I had another one on which I lost  :X1 then got one last one further down the same pool.  Brilliant day to be out in a stunning part of Scotland and well worth the 5hours drive, roll on the next time. 

First grayling of the day and a few other photos

Cheers
Michael

Mike Barrio

Re: Tummel
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2016 at 13:07 »
Great stuff Michael :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2016 at 14:31 »
Nice one bud  :z16

Gutted I couldn't make it, next time I'll be there. Good to see you back on here!

:z18

« Reply #3 on: 25/11/2016 at 12:45 »
Excellent stuff, your first picture of the river is the spot I caught my first ever grayling.

Munro Reid

« Reply #4 on: 28/11/2016 at 13:53 »
Now't wrong with the Tummel grayling fishing. I spent a lot of my youth fishing for tummel grayling and now tumel salmon :)
There's some large Grayling in there but with the fast flowing heavy flow they can be hard to reach with the fly rod.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 28/11/2016 at 14:24 »
...and my favourite Pike water, producing my only 30 pounder :) (so far).

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com