Liam Stephen

Re: Orvis Banchory
« Reply #45 on: 20/04/2017 at 09:04 »
I should have just been brutally honest with you. Sorry bud!  :X1

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #46 on: 20/04/2017 at 09:13 »
Tippet and leaders is a funny subject ..... an excellent product for one person can often be rubbish for another :z8

I haven't tried Orvis tippet, but their Super Strong tapered leaders are superb ..... at least for me anyway :z4

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #47 on: 20/04/2017 at 09:27 »
Tippet and leaders is a funny subject ..... an excellent product for one person can often be rubbish for another :z8

I haven't tried Orvis tippet, but their Super Strong tapered leaders are superb ..... at least for me anyway :z4

Cheers
Mike

I have been using super strong on and off since Orvis opened in Banchory. I am convinced you get good and bad batches and I know this has been discussed before with others having a similar experience.

I currently have a bad batch...the last batch was spot on and I did not have an issue.

As for the leaders, again, good and bad. I bought new at the start of the season, and two Saturdays ago, set up a 4 weight and a 5 weight using 5x tapered SS leaders. One was fine, the other snapped at the knot on several occations when trying to tie on a fly. It got binned and a new one used..which was fine.

I am afraid I am about to bin £35 of tippet and replace with frog hair.....again.

Although I keep forgetting about your tippet Mike!  :z8 :X1 :X1

I am a slow learner lol

Euan Innes

« Reply #48 on: 20/04/2017 at 18:27 »
Although I keep forgetting about your tippet Mike!  :z8 :X1 :X1

I am a slow learner lol

I haven't used anything else since Mike gave me a free sample  a while back. The salmon sizes are the dogs but we still need them heavier Mike (hint hint :wink)
And I do like the Orvis leaders but now I'm concerned so back to the Hemmingway Furled for me

Euan

Dave Robb

« Reply #49 on: 21/04/2017 at 07:54 »
I've only been out a few times with Mikes stuff and only had a couple of fish, but I'm happy so far.  My only addition would be an added elastic band or slider to hold the tipper in place on the spool as once the tape is off it can unfurl.  Even then though it's not bad to be honest and mostly stays on the spool.

The 4lb is maybe thinner than I thought it would be but the 6lb is great.  Need to order some 5lb.

I've pretty much always used Drennan Sub Surface Green.  Used it for over 20 years.  If spinning, it's Maxima Chameloen.

I've tried and failed with Flurocarbon.  Probably due to my knots.  I need to learn new knots but I've a habit of sticking with what I learnt as a kid.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #50 on: 21/04/2017 at 09:20 »
Yep Dave, il be going back to maxima, stood the test of time 👍🏻

Dave Robb

« Reply #51 on: 21/04/2017 at 09:54 »
It's just I baulk at the price of some of the fluorocarbon.  Around £25 for 100m of Frog Hair?!  Drennan Sub Surface green would cost £6.00 for the same amount and I swear by that stuff for loch / Stillwater fishing,

I find it hard to justify the extra cost but then maybe you catch more fish with the Fluorocarbon :z8?

I guess if I was comfortable with it, it might be good but people caught fish before fluorocarbon.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #52 on: 21/04/2017 at 09:54 »
I haven't used anything else since Mike gave me a free sample  a while back. The salmon sizes are the dogs but we still need them heavier Mike (hint hint :wink)
And I do like the Orvis leaders but now I'm concerned so back to the Hemmingway Furled for me

Euan

Hi Euan :z16

Re: heavier ....... What would be the most useful?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #53 on: 21/04/2017 at 12:03 »
Hi Euan :z16

Re: heavier ....... What would be the most useful?

Cheers
Mike

Can't speak for Euan... but something in the 18-20lb range and something maybe 25 -30lb would be awfully handy for both fresh and saltwater use  :z16

H

Euan Innes

« Reply #54 on: 21/04/2017 at 13:47 »
What he said Mike  :z4
16lb and 20lb for salmon. A spool would last for ages at 3' a leader on sink tips, as it does as 3' tippets on Rio tapered salmon leaders in the smaller weights. I do like a 12' tapered leader with a ring on the end and some Barrio 9-14lb tippet (the 11lb is my favourite :z13)

25lb and 30lb for the salt. Again in the short tippet sizes attached to the end of a 7"ps leader on my salt lines. The 30lb stuff I use just now is like a rope  :cry

Euan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #55 on: 23/04/2017 at 08:44 »
Yep Dave, il be going back to maxima, stood the test of time 👍🏻

Green Maxima in 3lb for rivers and 4lb for lochs almost all i use.  Brown and clear stuff is crap though.

Best by test?  Mmmm not so sure, yes its strong but the diameters suggest it's rated a size down than it should be, i.e 3lb is 4 and 4lb 5 etc.  In other words they're telling porkies  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #56 on: 25/04/2017 at 08:14 »
Green Maxima in 3lb for rivers and 4lb for lochs almost all i use.  Brown and clear stuff is crap though.

Best by test?  Mmmm not so sure, yes its strong but the diameters suggest it's rated a size down than it should be, i.e 3lb is 4 and 4lb 5 etc.  In other words they're telling porkies  :z4

I would say they are telling the truth, but told porkies in the past :)

For years lines were very underated. Maxima 5lb breaks at about 7. The 12lb breaks about 16.  These days if they say 5lb, it is more than likely going to break at 5lb.

The attached link is to a tackle shop down south that has tested numerous lines to find out what their true breaking strain is when using typical fishing knots etc.

Unfortunately its mostly in heavier versions, but you will get the idea. They do list Daiwa Sensor, 4lb goes at 5.88, 6lb at 8.5 etc etc. Of the more "modern" lines, they are much more accurate.

Also some tests on Fluoro lines as well...and they all seem to be over rated!

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/pdfs/line_tests_issue7a.pdf

Mike Barrio

« Reply #57 on: 29/04/2017 at 12:14 »
[facebook]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1887277681543361&set=a.1389092674695200.1073741828.100007834417625&type=3&theater[/facebook]

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #59 on: 29/04/2017 at 15:06 »
but then maybe you catch more fish with the Fluorocarbon :z8?

Not in my experience, hate the stuff and its not environmentally friendly either.
I like Nylon, Barrio tippet or Trouthunter, both have great knot strength and don't snap easily :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com