Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Re: Orvis Banchory
« Reply #30 on: 22/02/2017 at 20:21 »

Yes,they had great flees.

I particularly remember the Alex Martin 'Parachute' dry flies which were deadly for the late evening troot rises on the Don.
They used to come in a bonny wee tin with a picture of a troot on the front.

Browns were great for rod repairs especially for my cane rods which got broken quite regularly.They never charged much for the service.

Duncan

I think I have one of those tins in a drawer somewhere so I'll have a look later on tonight. Browns fixed my Grandads cane salmon rod a few times over the years - Sealy Octopus 10'6. Still have it but in my ignorant youth I fitted a Fuji reel seat...dick!
I may have to restore that when the price of oil goes up again.

Euan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 28/02/2017 at 10:10 »
Saw this on Facebook today :cool:

[facebook]https://www.facebook.com/orvisbanchory.flyfishing/posts/1856247391313057[/facebook]

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #32 on: 28/02/2017 at 11:19 »
Spoke to the Manager on Sunday...Orvis have spent £50,000 on new display boards etc in direct response to feedback they received (possibly this website ;):X2

In addition, more control will be given back to the store managers. The UK senior management team appear to have had their knuckles wrapped and told that fishing IS the Orvis backbone and will remain that way.

People power!  Up the Revolution!   :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2 :z2

Iain Cameron

« Reply #33 on: 28/02/2017 at 15:08 »
i was in to the store last week for the first time in a while - and the fishing gear had a reasonable amount of space, perhaps not quite as much as previously, but a decent floor coverage.

Nathan (who i think is the new fishing manager) had ordered something in for me, and although he was not there, the other staff were good and helpful, pulling out socks and waders to help me with trying on & fitting wading boots, and checking if I needed new wading studs etc.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 11/03/2017 at 12:52 »
[facebook]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1859100424361087&set=a.1389092674695200.1073741828.100007834417625&type=3&theater[/facebook]

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 11/03/2017 at 17:50 »
Nipped across to Banchory this afternoon to support the event. The tackle section is back down to the left as you enter the shop, as it used to be ..... and is looking much better than on my last visit :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #36 on: 11/03/2017 at 17:55 »
Unfortunately no way I could make it to that and the trip to see Allan today had to be aborted due to small child tantrums in the car - I was unamused.  :z10
Never mind, might go casting tomorrow to make up for it  :z13

Peter Davidson

« Reply #37 on: 11/03/2017 at 19:45 »
It's time you realised - Hamish my boy - that everyone wears a seatbelt and does what their told in a car so please don't be influencing the younger generation with your small child tantrum😂

Liam Stephen

« Reply #38 on: 11/03/2017 at 21:39 »
Back to how it was when Ben was there.  Good stufff  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #39 on: 11/03/2017 at 22:12 »
I wouldn't say that Liam, but much better than recent visits ........ I hope it proves a success :z16

Andy Wren

« Reply #40 on: 26/03/2017 at 18:11 »
I have a gut feeling Orvis might just be waking up to the loyalty of their fishing customer base being severely dissapointed.
Yes i like banochry Orvis ,however its a every few years visit .My Local on regent st is run by one of  the I'm not really interested in fishing but clothes ,it shows ,
However Orvis recently has apointed a  reasonably attractive ypung blonde as fly fishing ambassador UK, she was present on the orvis Stall (big)at the first london flyfishing fair ,almost all tackle or fishing clothing .Richard head of retail for many years was there looking rather under the cosh.
Orvis are also running freee casting sessions in green Park .
I am "lucky" I now have access to Farlowes and Orvis ,30 years ago the choice was huge!

Iain Stewart

« Reply #41 on: 17/04/2017 at 21:16 »
I agree I think too many are buying online to save £5 or £10 and loosing the local shops in the process. I really like going for a shop in Forfar at Angus Angling. Well worth a visit if you are into fly tying as they have a great range of stuff and can usually order in quickly if they don't. There is nothing beats getting up close with the items rather than hoping some spotty halfwit will pick a good cape for you on mail order!
Also seeing the same decline in the shooting world with big mail order stores sucking the life out of local dealers.

Tell the wife you are supporting the local economy and go out and spend the dosh locally. :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: 17/04/2017 at 21:29 »
Yes Iain, I think shops like Angus Angling that carry a good stock of quality gear with an equally good online service have a bright future :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #43 on: 18/04/2017 at 19:54 »
Yes Iain, I think shops like Angus Angling that carry a good stock of quality gear with an equally good online service have a bright future :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Aye they do. My visit today relieved me of £300 for a new pair of Guideline Laxa waders with free boots. I am much happier than my missus  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :X5

Neil is a top bloke and very cool to deal with. Just beware of his talent for selling stuff..... :z16

Euan

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #44 on: 20/04/2017 at 08:43 »
One tip for going to the shop, don't buy there nylon!!!!, it's crap, after being warned about its quality before we started fishing, it wasn't long till I was snapped by what could have been the best of the season..

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com