Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Orvis Banchory
« on: 03/11/2016 at 10:50 »
I was in the Orvis Banchory shop recently ....... gobsmacked by how much the tackle section has shrunk :shock

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Orvis Banchory
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2016 at 10:54 »
Mike,

I was there just before the end of the Dee season for a look at lunchtime.

I will not be going back, it has turned into a clothes shop.

Eddie. :mad

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/2016 at 10:58 »
I've applied for a part time job there. I must admit I was shocked to see the fly tying has been merged with the fishing section. It seems dog beds have taken priority.  :z8

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2016 at 11:00 »
You'd be better off trying for a job at Sloan's Liam :X2

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 03/11/2016 at 11:06 »
Sloan's is a shooting shop now I thought.....? Or at least it was last time I was in.

My buddy Nathan works out in Orvis, worked with him in Somers and he's a good guy. I'm sure he will voice your guys thoughts when he see it.  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 03/11/2016 at 12:51 »
It's all just a little bit of history repeating....
Murray's was a salmon only shop when I got there and introducing trout tackle was a chore to begin with. I was told that "there was no trout fishing around here and besides, trout fishermen have no money". Once sales started to go up and more trout anglers came through the door attitudes began to change but then the shop changed hands.
The new owner was such a snob that he actively discouraged any angler that didn't fish for salmon and even young lads that used to buy loads of £1 spinners were not welcome. Then the shop became Orvis.
The new fishing manager fished for everything, tied flies and could talk knowledgeably about all aspects of the sport. Trout tackle, and not just cheap trout tackle at that, appeared on the shelves and all anglers became happy. The other member of staff was less knowledgeable about trout and tying and was not keen to learn. On buying Veniard saltwater singles once, he laughed and declared that I would catch feck all on them and when I said that I tie all my salmon singles on these he just shook his head and muttered. Then the good manager left and we were back to where we were 20 years ago.
With salmon angling declining on Deeside, not having fly tying and trout tackle will have the wolves not just at the door, but well into the shop and making homes on the seriously expensive dog beds. Anglers will stop asking for things that used to be stocked and that will lead to anglers not going in and then the word will go out again that it is only for nobs, with or without the silent K.
With the shop under Orvis control having a sine wave of sales figures, it will be a matter of time until the For Sale signs go up again.
Any takers?!?
Some small tackle shops really work - Angus Angling in Forfar is a shining example, but it has one owner and one member of staff and does ALL types of fishing for all species. I am sure the right person, and will be down to the person, will come along and make it right but it will be a lot of hard work for not a lot of money and he MUST cater for everyone in the area, visiting salmon anglers and young trout spinners alike. If that attitude and enthusiasm is not there, history will repeat.Again.
Shame really... :mad

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 03/11/2016 at 16:09 »
My understanding is that stock and management is now centralised with Head Office dictating what is stocked based on UK wide sales. ...hence some strange items such as Tenkara rods and Permit flies being stocked.

I would say that the staff in Orvis are not the issue. Helpful, friendly...and yes, I even include Dave in that ;) The lasses in there are great too. However, when Head Office has 2 non fishing ladies in the shop at a weekend because that's when more clothes are sold, then the fishing is always going to suffer. They are helpful, but naturally cannot answer the more casting/rod/line /fly selection questions.

I also think only stocking Orvis products (I know some others sneak in such as Vision reels and Rio/Mackenzie) does not help matters.

As for Sloans, it is indeed a gun shop run by my old commanding officers sister. Afraid they are struggling thanks to the new airgun licence discriminating against legitimate users and ignoring the real issue. Hey ho! Sign of the times.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 03/11/2016 at 17:24 »
I was in the Orvis Banchory shop recently ....... gobsmacked by how much the tackle section has shrunk :shock

I was in the same shop recently and the reorganisation of the fishing and shooting stuff caught me by surprise too. Rob is right, there is much more national than local management of what stock where etc. Sign of the times I guess.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2016 at 20:05 »
In last week and utterly astonished about the shop setup. Much of the fly tying stuff is the leftover stuff from bens  days.  Dog stuff now in what was the flytying corner. I was in with my wife and she was astonished by the layout of the ladies clothing area, she even left a complaint about it. Seems that the store organiation of all the orvis shops are the empire of two ladies from the south of England who, in my opinion, couldn't organise a piss up in the proverbial brewery. The staff seem to have no say in the layout at all which is ludicrous to my mind. All clothing/ tackle is now orvis apart from the range of barbour where the fishing tackle once was.  It's a bloody shame that it's gone to the dogs but maybe it's an attempt to force the closure of the shop by attrition. 😠😠

Bill Wood

« Reply #9 on: 14/11/2016 at 17:19 »
Never been there but was planning to go for a look since Nathan works there. Sommers in Aberdeen is handy for me  and I have always had great service and competitive prices for the more expensive items like rods, reels and lines.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #10 on: 20/02/2017 at 18:38 »
Sorry state of affairs......  :X1

From what I've heard I agree with Peter!

Dave Robb

« Reply #11 on: 21/02/2017 at 00:00 »
I like Orvis stuff and was a good excuse to go out that way for a run in the car, helped by the great booze shop next door.

Would be good to know if the decision to do away with fishing gear is being made at a local level or not. 

I can't believe for the whole of Aberdeen and nearby area we now have one tackle shop, what with Sloans also done away with fishing stuff.

Crazy times,  can't be many folks fishing in the North East.  Remember as a young lad there were tackle shops all over.

Broons on Belmont street, Richard Walker on King Street, Somers when they were up on Thistle Street, Balgownie Sports at Bridge of Don.

Oh and a shop on the Spital but I forget the name.

I would personally like to see a large store open in the outskirts of Aberdeen with plenty of parking and the likes.  Surely an opportunity for someone but you have to think there's not much money being spent on fishing up here when there's now only one shop being supported.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #12 on: 21/02/2017 at 07:28 »
I know of a man interested in doing so! It's not me btw  :z4 :z7

Dave Robb

« Reply #13 on: 21/02/2017 at 11:31 »
It's my main problem with Somers albeit I do generally like the store.

It's always a bit of a thought having to go into the town centre, especially if you only need a couple of smaller items. 

Living north of the city, it puts me off when I think I have to battle traffic then hunt for a parking space which will cost me a couple of quid when I just want some hooks.

Equally I'm not that keen on mail order. I buy loads in general online but for some reason when it comes to fishing I still prefer to be able to go into a shop, see the goodies up close.

Would be great if someone would open up a new store and offer a choice.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 21/02/2017 at 12:22 »
The Grange down at the beach has a fishing section inside.  I guess they do not sell much though as its all carp and coarse fishing...another case of "management" knows best ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com