Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Don Tactics - page updated
« on: 02/11/2016 at 11:22 »
The River Don Tactics page on the website has been updated ...... Thanks Sandy :z16
http://fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-tactics.html

Still a lot of updating to do over the winter ...... but I'll get there :z4
Cheers
Mike

Mark Zhang

Re: River Don Tactics - page updated
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2016 at 14:08 »
I haven't read through it, but lovely photos. This will keep our fly fishing alive  :z4. Thanks for the efforts.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/2016 at 15:53 »
One wee thing I picked up on and that might get some folk into trouble was the bit about Articulated Streamers and Kelly Galloups patterns. They tend to be tandems with very large gaped hooks. These would be illegal on all ADAA beats (max gape 1cm) and with the Council beats as you cannot fish for Brown Trout with line of a greater breaking strain than 6lbs. With the big tandems 8 and 10lb line is common.

Might be worth adding in a bit about checking with beat rules is imperative as each beat differs??

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2016 at 16:07 »
Rob  :z16

Good point. Personally I think a lot of the rules are a little hazy....... You can't use a hook with a bigger gape than 1cm because it's rule. Yet you can still use more than one treble on a rapala  as it's just a recommendation...... I still see guys using lures with 3 trebles, I won't name names but some are in the committee!

:z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 03/11/2016 at 16:11 »
P.S the gape on my streamer hooks are measured after the fly has been dressed!  :wink :z4

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 03/11/2016 at 16:13 »
P.S the gape on my streamer hooks are measured after the fly has been dressed!  :wink :z4

Liam

Lol..and that's another issue as it is not clear in the rules. With my UV Polar Fritz flies, if I were to do that, I would have a negative gape ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com