Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Re: Salty flies.... it's a habit...
« Reply #15 on: 07/11/2016 at 20:14 »
Didn't have as much time as I thought this weekend but knocked some of these out.

Goat hair and Kingfisher blue glister style dubbing. The Fish Skull head I think is worth the money. It does take a bit of a curve to fit it properly but now that I know what that involves it is all good.

I also came up with a less flashy fly.

Sometimes something less shiny might do the trick.

So the box now looks like this

The box is an Airflo streamer box, £9.95 from Angus Angling. It has slits in the foam for big flees and is a lot cheaper than C&F!  :z16

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 09/11/2016 at 09:11 »
It is interesting to see the colours people are tying up. I have always found that in UK waters the duller, less flashy fly out fishes the brighter, coloured fly.

After many years of using soft plastic lures for them, I found that black with a red tail far out fished any other colour combination.  Second place went to deep purple and then dark red. White, yellow or orange never brought much joy. Obviously, this is not set in stone, but in clear water, try the darker flies.

It is well worth reading some of the articles on Pollock lure fishing to get an idea of colours, locations and tactics. Lots out there to entertain :)

Euan Innes

« Reply #17 on: 09/11/2016 at 11:47 »
Lots out there to entertain
There sure is Rob.
Red and purple are colours that I have in bucktail so I will have a think about what I can create. I like purple in a salmon fly so why not a pollock fly!

:z1

James Craig

« Reply #18 on: 09/11/2016 at 14:37 »
After reading these posts I decided to give it a go in the sea. I only had a brief period of free time at the weekend so quickly tied up a couple of flies and headed for the coast. Unfortunately, this landed amongst the strongest winds, most torrential rain and biggest swells of the weekend. It was ever so slightly dangerous.

Undeterred, I had a good look about and found a small sheltered cove that I could get a line out. Suffice to say I promptly lost the few flies that I had tied on snags and went home soaked through... but itching to get out and give it another go!

RIP batch number 1.

James Laraway

« Reply #19 on: 23/12/2016 at 12:46 »
that talk of sculip heads got me remembering i have some that i have never used.

this is with the roman moser heads..

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 05/01/2017 at 09:03 »
that talk of sculip heads got me remembering i have some that i have never used.

this is with the roman moser heads..

I have not had any luck with the sculpin heads, they tend to fish point down/upside down and then "aquaplane" up in the water :(. I have even tried just normal long shank streamer hooks and it still happens.

James Laraway

« Reply #21 on: 05/01/2017 at 09:22 »
a sandeel imitation from last night ...i need to work on the 'tail'

James Laraway

« Reply #22 on: 19/01/2017 at 13:02 »
first try at tying a shimp pattern for sea trout in the salt...

Tied on a size 4 'stinger' single.  Really easy to tie so i think i'll crack out a few in different colours !

James Laraway

« Reply #23 on: 19/01/2017 at 16:19 »
crazy in yellow...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com