Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Salty flies.... it's a habit...
« on: 30/10/2016 at 18:57 »
A very small selection of some of the creations coming out of my vice - addictive these salty patterns  :z16

The bobbin is in there for scale  :z13 I'm getting a feel for working with Bug Bond (and others) again, forgotten just how much fun this can be :!

Derek Roxborough

Re: Salty flies.... it's a habit...
« Reply #1 on: 30/10/2016 at 19:43 »
very Nice I'll try and post some of mine, I'm using a size 6  Stainless hook , easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 30/10/2016 at 20:49 »
Thanks, these are mostly 1/0 - and mostly 'circle' hooks which I think I'll be very fond of for this type of thing  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 30/10/2016 at 20:53 »
Jeez, they're a bit wee for you H!! :z7
Very nices flees old chap.  :z16
 :z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 31/10/2016 at 17:45 »
Jeez, they're a bit wee for you H!! :z7

Yeah, had to get my magnifying glasses out for these ones  :z13

Very nice flees old chap.  :z16

Very kind, I know there's work needed but I'm using up my old stock Bug Bond. The new stuff will hopefully see an improvement........

H :cool:

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 31/10/2016 at 19:43 »
Is there a resizer ? I tried to post my sea flies but the file is too big, easgach 1

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 31/10/2016 at 22:02 »
Just got some white goat hair in the post along with some different coloured sparkly stuff and some kingfisher blue dubbing so if I get time this week I will come up with  some baitfish patterns.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 31/10/2016 at 23:43 »
Is there a resizer ? I tried to post my sea flies but the file is too big, easgach 1

Hi Derek,

Have a quick read of this http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5254.0 and try (option 1).
The system should resize your photos automatically for you.

If that doesn't work for you, feel free to email the photo to me and I can upload it for you if that helps.

Best wishes
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 01/11/2016 at 15:38 »
A few of my salt water flies easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 01/11/2016 at 21:04 »
Finlay has taken to sitting and watching me tie flies of late, so this evening (to prevent his mother from having a melt down) I tied a few with an audience..... focuses the mind having a 2.5yr old in amongst your fly tying kit. Not good idea, not good at all. Fortunately for me, he didn't do an impression of a pin cushion.....  :z4

Rob - there's a fair amount of stuff I've had from Jerkbaitmania in there, I like his stuff and am sorry to see he's considering selling the business  :z10
I have some of the dubbing brushes too, I'm after some slightly thinner ones as - even for me - they're just too chunky.

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 01/11/2016 at 21:37 »
They're nice mate.
Must get back to the vice this week. I also need some more materials thanks to some suggestions on here. :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 04/11/2016 at 18:38 »
Just got some of these in the post,

so this weekend I will mainly be tying salty silver skull heads.
I have some ideas for trout streamers too using the dark grey ones. Can't wait  :z12

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 07/11/2016 at 07:58 »
Just got some of these in the post,

Have you looked at these for salt flies?

Lots more weight and you can get some really good actions to the fly.

Additionally, you can tie up Sculpins as they look very close to a Butterfish, Blenny and Gobies, which are very much on the menu for Pollock.

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 07/11/2016 at 09:51 »
I haven't used the Sculpin heads, is there significant enough of a difference between them and a 'standard' weighted head  :?

This morning I have mostly been tying.....

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 07/11/2016 at 13:52 »
I haven't used the Sculpin heads, is there significant enough of a difference between them and a 'standard' weighted head  :?

The sculpin heads are significantly heavier that the standard heads and give a very good up/down diving retrieve. Additionally, you can let them touch bottom and have them skip across liken the real thing. Expect to get Wrasse as well. :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com