Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Salty flees
« on: 23/10/2016 at 17:45 »
Busy little weekend!
First of all I started on my salt box. I have had some strange musing of late as to what a Pollock fly should look like and be made like. Mr Young likes them BIG, and I mean BIG.
I think they should be smaller, very mobile and not be too heavy. Dumbell Clousers are a pig to cast and hurt like hell when they clock you on the back of the head!

Top left
I already had a couple of Crazy Charlie variants and after a little more tinkering these are now Crazy Ivans. Why? Because they do a hard turn on the hour! :z4 :z4 :z4 (name the film) They have small bead chain eyes on top of the hook shank so that they swim up side down.

Bottom left
I had to have Clousers despite the danger. Chuck N duck! :z4

Top right.
Tigerfish (name the film) Light and mobile, bead eyes under the shank, Globrite nose. Very mobile and light so the DI7 line does the work and any motion in the line will make it wiggle.

Bottom right
Crab Nebula - Pink, hot, soft shelled and rubber legged. I put a tungsten conehead on each hook and held it in place with Aquasure then tied up to the back of the cone. It is a big #2 hook cos crabs are big and big crabs means big Pollock. They might be another pain to cast but they look tasty.

No UV or epoxy was used, just good old Zap a Gap brush on super glue. I didn't want the flies to get expensive or be a pain to tie.
The hooks are Veniard VH153 stainless singles which are the same ones I use for my salmon singles and they are excellent and only cost about £2.00 for a dozen.  :z16

The other good news this weekend was that I know have a second Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbour V reel. I got one off Ebay for £87 including a spare spool. That is a great price for a really great reel which was up near £200 when it was new. So I now have two and four spare spools. What a tackle tart! :z13

:z1

Liam Stephen

Re: Salty flees
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2016 at 18:03 »
Some tidy flies there. I'll try a few over the winter. Thanks for sharing.

:z18
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com