Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Powell

which grade of emery cloth..?
« on: 21/10/2016 at 23:45 »
I'm new to rod DIY

recently bought an elderly cane rod
tip and butt lined guides  are intact  OK;  but the 'inside loop' of all the intermediate guides is slightly corroded
which  will damage the line coating

I hope to use emery cloth in thin strips to remove most of the corrosion;  then paint with black hard enamel
No plans to strip the rod just yet

No hardware shop in the village - so buying online

what grade do I need 180,  240,  300,  400..... :z8

thanks..........john

Sandy Nelson

Re: which grade of emery cloth..?
« Reply #1 on: 22/10/2016 at 10:18 »
HI John

I'd use 240 to take the rough stuff off, 800 to smooth it out and then polish with Autosol to finish it off.
With the age of the rod the rings should be solid (hopefully) and not plated so polishing them should work out ok.

:z18

Sandy

John Powell

« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2016 at 10:37 »
..................... so polishing them should work out ok.......Sandy...

thanks -
 do I infer then that they do not need to be painted..?...................john

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 22/10/2016 at 11:21 »
A-Firm :z16

Paint will come off with a few casts, so utterly pointless, they look like SS rings so will polish nicely, if it doesn't work out, then just swap em out for new ones, cane is easy to refurb as you use Yacht varnish instead of epoxy, which can be applied thinly without the need for turning. :z18

Sandy

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 22/10/2016 at 13:22 »
I have used 1800 grit and 2400 as well for polishing steel you can get a mirror finish , got these from Axminster power tools, easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 23/10/2016 at 19:48 »
Remember the rubbers you used to get that were an orangery brown one end and a slightly rough grey the other...well use the grey side on the guides.  Also good for removing surface rust on gun barrels, reel seats and even car bodies.

https://piratification.blob.core.windows.net/historyofpencils/picture-of-pen-eraser-small.jpg

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com