Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Bug bond.... is it worth it?
« on: 20/10/2016 at 21:20 »
So here's a thing.... Ben (remember him :? No :? OK moving swiftly on then....) recommended me to Bug Bond for my streamers and saltwater flies as I recall Magnus and other forum users did likewise. It's good/handy stuff and I've used it for a few years on and off, although I do still like making up batches of epoxy for the craic.

I'll get through a bottle of bug bond quickly when the 'bug' to tie flies has bitten. And it has again, I have been tying with some gusto of late with this and next years forays for Pollock and other salty swimmers in mind. Although I like Bug Bond but I've noticed that the finish is more often than not just a wee bit tacky to the touch, flies aren't sticking to each other but that tacky finish is not what I'm after.

Now I'll persist and even though I have changed batteries and 'cured' patterns for what seems like hours (actually, it was hours and the ceiling got a lovely tan  :wink ) what I need to know is it worth persisting or are there other products out there that are better :? I'd be interested to hear what folk have to say on this one, or if they've experienced the same issues.

H

Andrew Ellis

Re: Bug bond.... is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 20/10/2016 at 21:56 »
Personally I find all of these resins cure with a slight tacky feel. Having cured them, I just leave them for a day or so on the windowsill and then give them a coat of Sally H. Bug Off is cheaper than Bug Bond and I notice no difference.

Andrew

James Abel

« Reply #2 on: 20/10/2016 at 22:34 »
Bug off is the way to go easier less mess cheaper I now have bug off light it's better IMHO😊

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 21/10/2016 at 06:10 »
Thanks chaps, I'll investigate Bug Off when my current stash of Bug Bond is used up  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2016 at 07:03 »
Hi H

Is it getting on a bit? I have both standard and Lite and have noticed that this year it was staying a wee bit tacky, never did it before, I think as the epoxy gets older it does not cure properly, so maybe better to not buy in bulk :X1

As for torches, Barry recommended a laser pen thing off ebay a few years ago.  Its great and you have more control. The link must be here somewhere. i'll have a look. :z16

Sandy

Roger Hoad

« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2016 at 12:00 »
All of these UV cure resins have a 'shelf life'. Unfortunately I think that the only one that carries the appropriate information is Liquid Glass UV cure resin from Harvey Angling. This has a 3 year shelf life.

I had similar problems with tackiness with both the Harvey Angling and Bug Bond Lite products.

I bought some Solarez products and have found the UV Thin Hard formula to be excellent, it cures very quickly with no tack and if left in daylight for a couple of days sets rock hard. Normal cure time is stated as 15 seconds either by UV torch or placing in direct sunlight.

There are three products in the range, UV Thin Hard, Uv F-L-E-X formula and UV Thick Hard. The Thick hard is a bit too thick for small flies but would probably be good for larger streamers,fry imitations and salmon flies. I haven't found a use yet for the flexible formula but it would probably be good at repairing waders etc. The Thin is excellent on smaller fly heads and epoxy style buzzers.

All 3 come in 5 gram tubes with a small nozzle making it very easy to use. These tubes last a long time.

The product is made in the States by Wahoo. I have only found it for sale on e bay, The cheapest company is in France but their service is very good and so are their prices.

Hope this helps. :z16

Roger Hoad

« Reply #7 on: 21/10/2016 at 13:00 »
Forgot to add that you can control the viscosity of these products by heating or cooling them (Warm water or cold water is best method)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 23/10/2016 at 02:00 »
Hi H

Is it getting on a bit? I have both standard and Lite and have noticed that this year it was staying a wee bit tacky, never did it before, I think as the epoxy gets older it does not cure properly, so maybe better to not buy in bulk :X1

As for torches, Barry recommended a laser pen thing off ebay a few years ago.  Its great and you have more control. The link must be here somewhere. i'll have a look. :z16

Sandy

The right torch makes all the difference, bug bond is great with the torch on Sandy's link.
I still give the bug bond a single coat with nail varnish just to make sure  :wink

Great stuff for deep water buzzers or buzzers that need Jungle cock on them !
Personally I wouldn't be without it  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 23/10/2016 at 19:43 »
Try the Deer Creek Diamond UV resin. Far superior, cheaper and no tack

Will Shaw

« Reply #10 on: 23/10/2016 at 22:01 »
Mmmm... not sure Rob. I agree that DC is not tacky, but I found it to be more brittle.

I still use BB and either live with the tack or coat with  Hard as Nails.

W.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 23/10/2016 at 23:03 »
Try the Deer Creek Diamond UV resin. Far superior, cheaper and no tack

Another vote for deer Creek here.  :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 23/10/2016 at 23:28 »
I guess its personal preference at the end of the day! Resin is resin and  I doubt there is much difference in the types!

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 24/10/2016 at 08:40 »
Is it getting on a bit?

Last years.....but it was unopened until a week ago.

I have one ordered  :z16

« Reply #14 on: 24/10/2016 at 21:55 »
Must admit to not using the stuff much at all.  Couple of year ago I did read a very informative post on A.N.Other forum about alternatives. If I remember correctly the flytying specific UV Cure resist are just re-branded product for women's fingers nail art / polish type stuff.

May be worth looking into cheaper smaller volume alternatives that would maybe help get around any shelf life issues.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com