Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Pollock adventures
« Reply #60 on: 02/11/2016 at 11:25 »
Oddly enough.... I have floating lines for use in the salt from 7wt upwards.... not that I'm a geek  ;D

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #61 on: 05/11/2016 at 14:35 »
out this morning with my 5/6 wt. just caught the top of the tide , cold hard wind , ( where're me Neoprene gloves?) some hail showers to the north , but I was there so I had an hour , I was catching fish but only tiddlers from this mark, however it kept my interest up, it was funny watching the small shoals chasing the flies in, even leaping out as I retrieved, I ended up with about a dozen none bigger than 6 ins. I did get a decent jag but it took the point fly ,it could have been weed, still it got me out of the house , I heard that the cod are making a come back here so I will have to look into that  :z12 easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #62 on: 07/11/2016 at 07:51 »
I heard that the cod are making a come back here so I will have to look into that  :z12 easgach 1

Cod on the fly are a possibility as I have found out a couple of times by mistake :)

I use lead core shooting heads to get the fly very deep. Its not pretty, its actually a bit dangerous but when you hook a cod in the tide, boy does the rod bend!!

They tend to open there gobs and use the tide against you. Peterhead breakwater is the easiest mark to fish this style.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #63 on: 08/11/2016 at 20:00 »
went down again this morning but one of the local fishers had beaten me to it, I got one small one and the local(cormorant) stopped play , I didn't see another fish, looks like I'll have to avoid this place, but the cormorants will have the advantage  :X2  easgach 1

James Laraway

« Reply #64 on: 07/12/2016 at 16:38 »
having recently moved 'up norf' to Inverness are there any opportunities for pollock or other fishing in the salt with the fly ?

Hamish Young

« Reply #65 on: 07/12/2016 at 17:30 »
Yes - loads  :z13

Munro Reid

« Reply #66 on: 15/12/2016 at 13:30 »
I have done a few trips out for Pollock fly fishing but only from a boat.
Fishing was awesome with some big fish coming to the boat.

As said above your gear will get wrecked so dont buy top end kit.

I use a SKB overdrive reel and a Airfow Di9 line.

As for flies they will take almost anything.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #67 on: 06/02/2017 at 13:03 »
I have done a few trips out for Pollock fly fishing but only from a boat.
Fishing was awesome with some big fish coming to the boat.

As said above your gear will get wrecked so dont buy top end kit.

I use a SKB overdrive reel and a Airfow Di9 line.

As for flies they will take almost anything.

I used to use my Helios off the rocks, I now use a Power Matrix..less precious to me lol.

I buy lines from Tacklebargins as often they are ex display and only £15 for a Sniper or 40+ Di7 or Di9. Not too worried about the rocks then. If the running line gets damaged, I just replace with heavy mono (40lb Amnesia) and use it as a shooting head.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com