Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Powell

bringing a Sharpes' Scottie out of retirement
« on: 10/10/2016 at 23:59 »
after my father passed, I found a Sharpes of Aberdeen Scottie in the loft

It was/is immaculate.  All whippings, decals are intact, with a stopper thing in ferrule
and a wooden plug in the butt;  can remove and replace with a cork 5'' extension
original Bag with sales tag still attached stating ''Model 2,  9'6'' 2pc 6-1/2 oz   AFTM 7-8

as Dad had moved to Wales - was it a sea-trout rod.....?  I never saw it in use
 it's not been used for the last  25years except a few days  by me  on my local trout loch
then I've been out of the 'loop' (groan) for about 3 years .... no, illness not HMG Prison

sorry for the ramble --- want to explain my thoughts
i still recall how wonderful it felt to cast - slow, and  in sych with the loch stillness

should i bring it out of retirement - for use bank casting on a couple of local lochs
native browns (Glengavel) and stocked rainbows up to 4-5lbs (Kype Reservoir)
will the impregnated glue have aged to cause failure of the rod ( always hung in its dry bag).. :?
will casting a WF8F stress the rod due to its age..... :?
I know people use very old split-cane rods but this one has sentimental value too
and it's heavy ....  :!

so I'm thinking of a split cane rod in the 8'6'' to 9' range AFTM 5-6
or are these too light for my usage

regards and thanks for any guidance.............................john

can I flag a member in this thread - like @Dave Medlyn  (who posted ''All my rods are cane. '')

Dave Medlyn

Re: bringing a Sharpes' Scottie out of retirement
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2016 at 07:04 »
Hi John,
I have a number of old, some very old, fly rods. I've used them a number of years and have never had any  problems with them. 
My "newest" is a 12' Sharpes salmon double hander and on the last weekend of the season here in Ireland, it easily subdued a 12 pounder. I think a visual inspection will tell you if the rod is up to the job. Having said that, sometimes the old glues can fail. I've had to restock the odd ferrule back on with 15min araldite!!
I've had friends who fish with carbon rods tell me I'm mental using those old things and 10 mins later the tip section of their rod just pings off!
My old rods have to earn their keep ! But  as long as they are looked after, dried after use and the varnish and whippings are sound, you can fish them. And boy, do they feel great to cast.
Good luck with your rod
All the best
Dave

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2016 at 09:59 »
I still use a 1950's Sharpes cane carp rod. Its landed carp to a little over 20 pounds and is still in perfect condition. I also used to use a 12 foot double hander and again, never had an issue with it.

Sharpes made a good rod, and being impregnated, is not prone to drying out as much as normal cane rods.

John Powell

« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2016 at 11:53 »
I still use a 1950's Sharpes cane carp rod. ...
Sharpes made a good rod, and being impregnated, is not prone to drying out as much as normal cane rods....

......I have a number of old, some very old, fly rods.''''''' and have never had any  problems with them. 
.....  as long as they are looked after, dried after use and the varnish and whippings are sound, you can fish them.
And boy, do they feel great to cast...Dave.......

thanks for the feedback

the rod is 'as-new' so I'll dust it off for 2017
wee brown from local hillside loch - very dark waters - released

but --- at 9'6 #7/8 it is a bit heavy ( occasionally i have spine problems)
would a lighter 8'6'' or 9' say #5/6 be a better choice for loch bankside trout circa £100-150

I have one in mind . could I PM you the link for comments... :?....cheers
john

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #4 on: 11/10/2016 at 19:35 »
Do. I'd be happy to offer any help that I can

John Powell

« Reply #5 on: 11/10/2016 at 19:44 »
Do. I'd be happy to offer any help that I can..............

much appreciated ...... cane is a whole new world... :shock

Link sent by PM..........john

John Powell

« Reply #6 on: 12/10/2016 at 11:46 »
Dave,,,,,,,,thanks for the info

R O Roberts 8'6'' #5/6 purchased........ :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 12/10/2016 at 12:01 »
Enjoy your new rod John!

:z18

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #8 on: 12/10/2016 at 19:25 »
What have I done!! Another cane rod nut is born. Congratulations on your new toy. You'll need a nice Hardy Marquis #7/8 to go with that now, and a Mallard #6DT line from Mike!
Glad I could help
Dave

John Powell

« Reply #9 on: 14/10/2016 at 18:57 »
...... Congratulations on your new toy. ...Dave...

are you a Landie fan..?
I've had 3 .... a LWB and 2 SWB - all Series3

I sold one SWB to a pal who equipped it for a 'trip' with FWhubs, LR fuel tanks, the works
he (pictured) drove from my (then) home in South Wales to Tangiers and then across the Sahara to Tamanrasset -- epic... :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 14/10/2016 at 21:00 »
Nice Landy ........... love it :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com